Found a Deal,... Now Looking for Capital

7 Replies

Hello BP,

I'm noticing that capital is what's hard to find, not deals... at least in my experience so far.

I'd like to get some help from the BP community on how to find capital to use for a rehab flip.

My friend and I have an opportunity to buy a single family home in Washington D.C. in a nice neighborhood.

Purchase price about 600k

renovations

interior 200k, exterior 150k, soft costs 150k (very conservative figures)

ARV 1.35 - 1.5 MIL

3 - 6 months for rehab, plan to market while rehabbing.

Problem for us now is we can't fund it. We don't qualify on our credit or income. Not sure if HML is an option and at what cost.

Any advice is greatly appreciated... as always.

Why not just wholesale it and let someone with the capital or access to the capital deal with it??

Roger that @Ben Leybovich

You're right @Chris K. , I may just have to pass up on the bulk of the profits till I find financing.

Ultimately, the profits follow risk/investment. If you risk little, you return little. If you risk a lot (~$1.1m for your project), you'd expect a healthy return.

There's no shame to passing up the "bulk of the profits." Assuming you have a real good deal, you'll be able to wholesale it, and even if you are taking only a slice of the projected 250-400k in profit, you get it upfront, at closing, without waiting 3-6 months to get out.

The key I would look at is 6 months from now might be the dead of winter in your area. Also as interest rates rise that can cause a flat lining in sales prices.

So you have two possible things working against you. A third thing is contracting with trying to get workers out in the cold weather. A fourth thing is the taxes on flipping and how much money you lose with profits versus regular investing.

Many other risks but you might want to wholesale this as mentioned. No legal advice.

Medium allworldrealtyJoel Owens, All World Realty | [email protected] | 678‑779‑2798 | http://www.AWcommercial.com | Podcast Guest on Show #47

@James Wise we don't have two coins to rub together so I wonder, are there hml's that lend purely on equity?

@Mike Harris you're right, no shame in it at all. Thx.

@Joel Owens great insight I can't wait to find out out how much I have to pay in taxes; it would mean I've done good :)

Thank you folks for taking the time to offer advice. Truly appreciated!

P.s. Currently having some rehabbers review deal. Hopefully we have a win win win.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you