Agonizing over where to put energy -- "regular" job or REI. Please give input

Agonizing over where to put energy -- "regular" job or REI. Please give input

Investor · Member since 2013 · 92 posts · 26 votes

I am a teacher so I'm off work for the summer, and I'm focusing 100 percent on growing our REI business.

I got two off-market houses under contract last week -- a fix and hold, and a potentially lucrative flip. Great news, but I was on the road, on the phone, or on the computer 12 hours a day working on this and expect this week to be more of the same now that we are under the gun to arrange financing, rehab, etc.

This week, we are also closing on the sale of one house and prepping another house to rent -- our first to rent/manage ourselves, so I am also setting up online applications, figuring out our renter criteria, customizing a lease, etc. I am so, so busy.

I have no idea how I am going to do this when I go back to work in the fall, but to cover our monthly costs, I need to have a reliable income. We do have savings, but obviously don't want to rely on that to cover ongoing costs. I would feel better if we had a LOT more in savings, but we don't -- yet. That's why I got into REI on the side, because I wanted more future financial stability.

Our cashflow from two rentals will be about $500/month. We hope to add more rentals as we can find good ones that won't cost much after rehab/refinance.

The flip, which is a huge project, will net at least $20K (worst-case scenario) up to a lot more, but the rehab will take 10 weeks, plus time on the market in the worst time to try to sell a house, and 30+ days to close. The flip house is 3,100 sf (plus barn) on 2 acres, in a thriving small town with amazing schools, easy commute to Fort Worth, purchase price $55K, rehab price $50K (per contractor). The ARV is probably over $200K, but I am using $150K as my ARV just to be safe. The best comp I can find is a nearby house that just sold at $250K, but the house is half the size of ours, with almost twice as much land. Comps are weird out in the country, but I feel very comfortable with the numbers.

My husband has a good job in the mortgage industry and no interest in leaving it, though he 100 percent supports me and helps in every way he can. We are definitely partners in this.

Although I truly love teaching, I have had a really emotionally and physically draining couple of years, and would not mind leaving. I make $50K per year as a teacher, with no hope to ever make much more than that after adjusting for inflation. I take home about $3K/month after paying for taxes and health insurance. The health benefits are pretty good, but I could continue those for 18 months via COBRA for $900/month (GAHHHH). Leaving teaching would also mean losing a guaranteed pension of 60 percent of my income when I turn 55. 

I also have two little kids (5 and 2) and would love to have more flexibility when it comes to them -- volunteering in their classrooms, taking them to the doctor, staying home with them when they're sick.

And here's a weird little tidbit: The doctor who treats me for anxiety thinks leaving teaching and becoming a full-time REI would be great for me and my mental health.

I guess it seems like a no-brainer, but I am really worried about providing for my family if this REI doesn't work out like I hope it will. What if the market tanks when I'm halfway through my flip? What if I pick terrible tenants that put us through an expensive legal battle? I do not want my weird little hobby to financially ruin my family.

I'm also worried about qualifying for financing without a job, but my husband qualifies on his own and has no problem supporting my REI.

I guess teaching for another year or two is an option, but it doesn't feel like one. I am afraid of my attention being so divided between the classroom and dealing with financing, tenants, contractors, etc., that I would be a crappy teacher, the absolute last thing I want.

What do you guys think? Those of you who are still working full-time, are you satisfied with the energy you can put toward your REI? Those of you doing REI full-time, do you make enough money? Are you happy with your decision?

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
Originally posted by @Jessica G.:

I am a teacher so I'm off work for the summer, and I'm focusing 100 percent on growing our REI business.

I got two off-market houses under contract last week -- a fix and hold, and a potentially lucrative flip. Great news, but I was on the road, on the phone, or on the computer 12 hours a day working on this and expect this week to be more of the same now that we are under the gun to arrange financing, rehab, etc.

This week, we are also closing on the sale of one house and prepping another house to rent -- our first to rent/manage ourselves, so I am also setting up online applications, figuring out our renter criteria, customizing a lease, etc. I am so, so busy.

I have no idea how I am going to do this when I go back to work in the fall, but to cover our monthly costs, I need to have a reliable income. We do have savings, but obviously don't want to rely on that to cover ongoing costs. I would feel better if we had a LOT more in savings, but we don't -- yet. That's why I got into REI on the side, because I wanted more future financial stability.

Our cashflow from two rentals will be about $500/month. We hope to add more rentals as we can find good ones that won't cost much after rehab/refinance.

The flip, which is a huge project, will net at least $20K (worst-case scenario) up to a lot more, but the rehab will take 10 weeks, plus time on the market in the worst time to try to sell a house, and 30+ days to close. The flip house is 3,100 sf (plus barn) on 2 acres, in a thriving small town with amazing schools, easy commute to Fort Worth, purchase price $55K, rehab price $50K (per contractor). The ARV is probably over $200K, but I am using $150K as my ARV just to be safe. The best comp I can find is a nearby house that just sold at $250K, but the house is half the size of ours, with almost twice as much land. Comps are weird out in the country, but I feel very comfortable with the numbers.

My husband has a good job in the mortgage industry and no interest in leaving it, though he 100 percent supports me and helps in every way he can. We are definitely partners in this.

Although I truly love teaching, I have had a really emotionally and physically draining couple of years, and would not mind leaving. I make $50K per year as a teacher, with no hope to ever make much more than that after adjusting for inflation. I take home about $3K/month after paying for taxes and health insurance. The health benefits are pretty good, but I could continue those for 18 months via COBRA for $900/month (GAHHHH). Leaving teaching would also mean losing a guaranteed pension of 60 percent of my income when I turn 55. 

I also have two little kids (5 and 2) and would love to have more flexibility when it comes to them -- volunteering in their classrooms, taking them to the doctor, staying home with them when they're sick.

And here's a weird little tidbit: The doctor who treats me for anxiety thinks leaving teaching and becoming a full-time REI would be great for me and my mental health.

I guess it seems like a no-brainer, but I am really worried about providing for my family if this REI doesn't work out like I hope it will. What if the market tanks when I'm halfway through my flip? What if I pick terrible tenants that put us through an expensive legal battle? I do not want my weird little hobby to financially ruin my family.

I'm also worried about qualifying for financing without a job, but my husband qualifies on his own and has no problem supporting my REI.

I guess teaching for another year or two is an option, but it doesn't feel like one. I am afraid of my attention being so divided between the classroom and dealing with financing, tenants, contractors, etc., that I would be a crappy teacher, the absolute last thing I want.

What do you guys think? Those of you who are still working full-time, are you satisfied with the energy you can put toward your REI? Those of you doing REI full-time, do you make enough money? Are you happy with your decision?

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your very detailed post.

I am sorry to hear about your anxiety. I too suffered from anxiety and panic attacks. Its a crappy disorder to have but very manageable once you learn how to deal with it.

I was once told by a very rich and successful man when I complained to him about working 10hrs per day as a laborer and not having enough time to focus on RE.

He asked me "How many hrs are there in a day?"

I said "24"

Then he asked how many hrs I worked and how long it took to get to and from work.

I said "12"

He replied "Great, you have another 12hrs left to focus on RE"

WOW, I will never forget that moment.

It is very difficult balancing everything and keeping all the balls in the air the same time.

I always encourage everyone to do their absolute best or whatever their "best" is.

You can judge your performance better than anyone else and if you feel it isn't good enough or your not happy, do it or try it again.

Also, don't worry about the "what if's" and what other people say.

A study was done on people living in retirement homes and they where asked "If you could turn back time and live your life again, what would you do differently?"

Over 80% said "I would take more risk"

Make a passion an obsession and you will never work a day in your life.

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jessica G.:

    I am a teacher so I'm off work for the summer, and I'm focusing 100 percent on growing our REI business.

    I got two off-market houses under contract last week -- a fix and hold, and a potentially lucrative flip. Great news, but I was on the road, on the phone, or on the computer 12 hours a day working on this and expect this week to be more of the same now that we are under the gun to arrange financing, rehab, etc.

    This week, we are also closing on the sale of one house and prepping another house to rent -- our first to rent/manage ourselves, so I am also setting up online applications, figuring out our renter criteria, customizing a lease, etc. I am so, so busy.

    I have no idea how I am going to do this when I go back to work in the fall, but to cover our monthly costs, I need to have a reliable income. We do have savings, but obviously don't want to rely on that to cover ongoing costs. I would feel better if we had a LOT more in savings, but we don't -- yet. That's why I got into REI on the side, because I wanted more future financial stability.

    Our cashflow from two rentals will be about $500/month. We hope to add more rentals as we can find good ones that won't cost much after rehab/refinance.

    The flip, which is a huge project, will net at least $20K (worst-case scenario) up to a lot more, but the rehab will take 10 weeks, plus time on the market in the worst time to try to sell a house, and 30+ days to close. The flip house is 3,100 sf (plus barn) on 2 acres, in a thriving small town with amazing schools, easy commute to Fort Worth, purchase price $55K, rehab price $50K (per contractor). The ARV is probably over $200K, but I am using $150K as my ARV just to be safe. The best comp I can find is a nearby house that just sold at $250K, but the house is half the size of ours, with almost twice as much land. Comps are weird out in the country, but I feel very comfortable with the numbers.

    My husband has a good job in the mortgage industry and no interest in leaving it, though he 100 percent supports me and helps in every way he can. We are definitely partners in this.

    Although I truly love teaching, I have had a really emotionally and physically draining couple of years, and would not mind leaving. I make $50K per year as a teacher, with no hope to ever make much more than that after adjusting for inflation. I take home about $3K/month after paying for taxes and health insurance. The health benefits are pretty good, but I could continue those for 18 months via COBRA for $900/month (GAHHHH). Leaving teaching would also mean losing a guaranteed pension of 60 percent of my income when I turn 55. 

    I also have two little kids (5 and 2) and would love to have more flexibility when it comes to them -- volunteering in their classrooms, taking them to the doctor, staying home with them when they're sick.

    And here's a weird little tidbit: The doctor who treats me for anxiety thinks leaving teaching and becoming a full-time REI would be great for me and my mental health.

    I guess it seems like a no-brainer, but I am really worried about providing for my family if this REI doesn't work out like I hope it will. What if the market tanks when I'm halfway through my flip? What if I pick terrible tenants that put us through an expensive legal battle? I do not want my weird little hobby to financially ruin my family.

    I'm also worried about qualifying for financing without a job, but my husband qualifies on his own and has no problem supporting my REI.

    I guess teaching for another year or two is an option, but it doesn't feel like one. I am afraid of my attention being so divided between the classroom and dealing with financing, tenants, contractors, etc., that I would be a crappy teacher, the absolute last thing I want.

    What do you guys think? Those of you who are still working full-time, are you satisfied with the energy you can put toward your REI? Those of you doing REI full-time, do you make enough money? Are you happy with your decision?

    Hi Jessica,

    Thanks for your very detailed post.

    I am sorry to hear about your anxiety. I too suffered from anxiety and panic attacks. Its a crappy disorder to have but very manageable once you learn how to deal with it.

    I was once told by a very rich and successful man when I complained to him about working 10hrs per day as a laborer and not having enough time to focus on RE.

    He asked me "How many hrs are there in a day?"

    I said "24"

    Then he asked how many hrs I worked and how long it took to get to and from work.

    I said "12"

    He replied "Great, you have another 12hrs left to focus on RE"

    WOW, I will never forget that moment.

    It is very difficult balancing everything and keeping all the balls in the air the same time.

    I always encourage everyone to do their absolute best or whatever their "best" is.

    You can judge your performance better than anyone else and if you feel it isn't good enough or your not happy, do it or try it again.

    Also, don't worry about the "what if's" and what other people say.

    A study was done on people living in retirement homes and they where asked "If you could turn back time and live your life again, what would you do differently?"

    Over 80% said "I would take more risk"

    Make a passion an obsession and you will never work a day in your life.

    Thanks for reading and have a great day.

  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    12y

    No one can tell you what the right answer is for you. It does sound like you are saying that you are not saving much even with your two incomes. I would examine why that is but don't think investing in real estate is the answer. I also don't like the fact that if you quit your teaching all your income would come from real estate related activities.

    You can regulate(to some extent) how much time you spend it real estate. You can manage a fairly large number of rentals part time and use property managers if you have to.

    If you don't have adequate capital to invest I don't think borrowing money is the way to release stress. During housing downturns I find I can purchase properties from other investors who borrowed excessive funds to buy real estate.

    I guess(if it were me) I would do one flip per summer and accumulate rentals as I had funds.

    Like I said, no one can tell you what to do.

    Good Luck on your properties and your decision.

    Bill

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 208 posts · 70 votes
    12y

    Sounds like you may not have peace about the decision to go full time with REI. If so, wait till you have done multiple deals, have your systems down are consistently closing deals, with savings in the bank. It is tough, but you can do both REI and teaching, especially if your spouse is on board and you are working together!

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Honestly I have been in the same spot! Our goal is for real estate to short term cover my salary and long term allow us both to quit! I found the hard way that without a steady job it's hard to leverage. Unfortunately in real estate that is everything. Most days I live my job, many days I would love to quit. While I am sure things fall juggle a full time job, managing everything myself and having a husband. I remind myself that there is a purpose. I tried teAxhing and hated t so I sort of it get it. My advice would be to take the next year and put everything into your real estate. If you can replace your full time salary while only doing it part time. You have given yourself the reason to quit! 

    We are buy and hold investors. The minute out rental income covers my salary you will bet that I will quit the minute t is no longer fun!

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 718 posts · 913 votes
    12y

    I don't have an overall recommendation for you, but here are a few observations.

    First, I really don't think you can underestimate the value a W-2 job brings to your ability to obtain financing, which is the life blood of buy and hold.  Without significant assets and contacts, it is really, really hard to get loans for long-term buy and holds.   By giving up your W-2 job, you are  giving up a significant asset.

    The second thing, I would observe is that you seem to be looking to go into REI full time very quickly. I would at least complete the two projects you have locked down before making a final decision about what to do. (Flipping in rural areas strikes me as a little more unpredictable.)

    Third, I don't see being a full-time investor as giving you any kind of freedom of time, at least right off the bat.  If you are flipping or wholesaling, that is a job, pure and simple and it is a hard job at that  (at least initially).  Buy and hold is another story.  Most investors I know work their butts off.

  • Residential Landlord · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Whatever you do Jessica take it slow and don't make any hasty decisions until you are absolutely sure. This business isn't going anywhere. (sounds like that's what you're doing). As others have said W-2 income is GREAT to have when needing financing. Try and "balance" both for now. At least you DO have time off for the summer to work your REI business. You also have a built in RE Partner who has your back and best interest at heart. (count your blessings) Good Luck!

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    12y

    I work my full time job which is about 50 hours a week easy on shift work. I manage 13 rental units, 10 my own and 3 for my folks. I deal with older homes that have been neglected so there is a decent amount of work initially. I purchased a property last year that that I just happened to be put on 12 hour shifts at work and worked at the new property every single day for 31 days until it was done. This is about as busy as I got. Mostdays averaged about 4-5 hours of sleep. Once a property is stabilized things are a lot easier. I plan a project here and there. I manage the properties and deal with maintenance and other issues. I plan to add another property a year until I go full time conservatively in 12 years. I imagine and feel It will be sooner. The longer you do it ithe easier it is to manage it all and grow. 

    I think you can definately grow your business but I would keep your teaching position for a while if I were in your shoes. You have a passion for teaching from what you described and have gotten burned out to some degree. If your initial infatuation with investing becomes overwhelming you might be in the same position with your mental state so keeping your teaching position might be use until you know for sure. Take is slow and methodical.

  • John Van UytvenPro Member
    Property Manager · Oconee, IL · Member since 2014 · 536 posts · 202 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jessica G.:

    I am a teacher so I'm off work for the summer, and I'm focusing 100 percent on growing our REI business.

    I guess teaching for another year or two is an option, but it doesn't feel like one. I am afraid of my attention being so divided between the classroom and dealing with financing, tenants, contractors, etc., that I would be a crappy teacher, the absolute last thing I want.

    What do you guys think? Those of you who are still working full-time, are you satisfied with the energy you can put toward your REI? Those of you doing REI full-time, do you make enough money? Are you happy with your decision?

    I teach English at a Korean elementary school, and I know what you mean.  

    I was rather frustrated with work and almost rage quit.  Fortunately, I am better now, and I still enjoy teaching.

    My advice is: Focus on your REI Business during this summer.

    Then really hammer out an exit strategy for leaving your teaching position.

    If you find it difficult to get up in the mornings and go teach.  If you become a crappy teacher, and you recognize that I definitely think you should leave. 

    It's about your mental health and ability, plus doing what's right for the students.

    What about working for someone else in the Real Estate industry?  
    Have you considered becoming a Realtor? 

    or Property Manager for other people?

    As the summer break comes to an end, you should have an exit strategy hammered out.

  • Investor · Winnipeg, Manitoba · Member since 2013 · 303 posts · 321 votes
    12y

    @Jessica G. 

    I watched your post on your first rehab; may be 2 weeks ago. I was so happy & proud of you.

    I agreed with @Kyle Hipp , me & him almost have the same life style. I myself is self employed since 21; so basically I have no way out unless I sold my business or close it down. this is like your W2 job. 

    I always have two different business ( for the past 35 years)going on at the same time. In 2001, I closed down one of my business for 10 years. I was so mentally lonely & boring. I went crazy collecting art; just to kill the time. Now my whole house & my other business location is wall filled with paintings. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed those paintings. But it is not what I want. I was lost in those 10 years.

    I found US RE in 2011, my life is so fulfilled now. My mind is always full of stuff to think. 

    I can really focus on things & I have passion on what I am doing  again; other than spending money on painting for the past 10 years.

    Don't worry too much, there is always a road in front of you. You will find your way out.

    On the other hand, I can understand your situation can be a little different than us; because you have two small children to look after. So that means another full time job; looking after & take care of 2 young children.

    One thing I have never quit doing for the past 20 years is training Martial Arts( I quit for 15 years when I first started my business). I used to teach 2 days before; now I cut down one day a week. 

    During the two hours of training & teaching, I totally isolated all my business & other life matters in my mind. I have only martial arts training to focus in that two hours. Every time after training, both my body & my mind are so  refresh. May be you can try to find a physical hobby like Yoga or martial arts to ease up your mind & tension.

  • Investor · Member since 2013 · 92 posts · 26 votes
    12y

    Everyone, thanks so much for the input. I tend to get obsessed with things and go all-in right away, and it's hard to maintain perspective, which is why I asked so plaintively for advice. I am less panicked today.

    It's strange for me that I love REI so much. I have always liked houses, construction, and real estate -- my mom is an architect so I grew up around foundations being poured and the pine smell of houses being framed -- but I have never thought of myself as a "numbers" person. Now I am elbow-deep in spreadsheets, and I love it.

    As far as our financial situation goes, what keeps any young(ish) couple from saving as much as they want to? Unexpected medical bills, student loans, having kids, etc. Moneywise, we live very modestly and are fine, but we worked hard to get to "fine," and I want to keep us there. 

    We have capital earmarked specifically for REI, and that is why we are able to qualify for hard money loans and conduct rehabs.

    It's just hard to see that I made $40,000+ in instant equity on my very first real estate deal, which is almost as much as I make in a year of teaching. My kids are growing up fast, and teaching is all-consuming work in a way that's hard to explain. I think it's reasonable for me to want to do something that will allow me to focus on my kiddos more. 

    I am not worried about losing my W2 job, because my husband has great credit and a much better income than mine on his own. He is happy to be the credit-score-and-income muscle behind our loans. He just wants me to try to bring in an income roughly equivalent to what I make as a teacher, but he doesn't care where it comes from. After a rough start and some major public-relations work on my part, he now totally gets the real estate investment thing and helps me as much as he can. 

    I have been thinking hard, and will continue to do so. Other options on the table include giving teaching another year or two, and/or trying to switch to part-time or a job with a shorter commute. I have a master's degree in my teaching field -- plus, I am an awesome teacher if I do say so myself -- and it does feel wasteful to give it up. 

    I will definitely post an update. I feel sometimes like I am the most emotional poster on BP! Everyone else seems so calm and rational. (Now someone is going to pipe in and tell me that being emotional will make me a crappy real estate investor.)

    @Engelo Rumora 

    @Bill Jacobsen 

    @Tyler H. 

    @Elizabeth Colegrove 

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Jessica G. Is quitting your job irreversible? No! If you quit and all of these negative forecasts come true (harder time getting financing, things fall apart with the real estate) YOU CAN GO BACK to teaching! Set yourself free girl! I had cancer. I also have a 2 and a 5 year old. Poor health leads to really bad things. Being emotional (aka as being passionate!) can lead to really great things. I believe you have your answer already. I believe you have the support you need already. I believe you are extremely motivated to do real estate and make it work and make money at it no matter what. My vote is quit teaching while you are ahead but my vote doesn't count. What counts is not being afraid of what the universe is telling you. Trust your gut, make it work and have a great time! LIFE is too damn short.

    ps I love that your mom was an architect!  That's one of my keywords and the only reason this popped into my feed so thank you for sharing that!

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    Hi Jessica,

    You have to take time for yourself. If you don't you are burning the candles at both ends.

    I am 39 now. In my 20's I owned a restaurant business. I thought being open everyday would increase sales. Instead employees complained and sometimes didn't show up and I was working there all the time. Money was great but I never had time to do anything with it. I became grumpy and not at my best because I was always there when I wanted to relax, work out, etc.

    I remember a friend telling me once he would always be stressed out from work. He would come home and then the kids would want his attention and the wife who would have been there all day would want a break. So he was stressed out needing time, she was stressed out needing time, the kids were feeling rejected because he wasn't jumping up and down to be with them every second when he arrived home.

    So I told him to take some time for himself between his job and when he arrived home. Whether it was a 30 minute walk at the park, 1 hour of exercise etc. Basically time to take the job away and decompress before getting home. Then when he arrived home the wife would feel he was attentive to her needs of needing a break and he would have a clear mind an feel focused and happy to be with the kids.

    It worked out great. The point is you have to take care of yourself before you take care of others. If you don't then you aren't giving everyone a best version of yourself. That is why balance is so important. Money is just one aspect of life. You have money buckets, friend buckets, partner buckets, family buckets, religion - spiritual, etc. If everything is balanced you float smoothly on the water. If you are very heavy in one and light in others then you can sink into the water.

    It's really all in the brain. When I run triathlons or marathons my mind wants to quit way before my body. We place limitations on ourselves that in most cases simply are not there. I think right now you are having a "knee jerk" reaction to this teaching thing. You need some time off even for a few days or a week.

    I love real estate too. I do commercial real estate all the time. I do however occasionally like to take a trip to the beach and hear the waves rolling in. I talk to investors at all times because some are overseas in varying time zones. It keeps my life interesting but is only one component to my overall success.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 465 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    @Jessica G. 

    Multipart answer.

    1)The first part of your post leads me to believe you are getting in place your process for your business. Once the processes are in place and you have them written down your time investment will decrease. Right now it seems like you are suffering through the most tedious process in starting a company. Planning. Planning takes time but without a good plan you will not fail. Don’t worry about the time constraints once the plan is in place follow it, stick to it. And you could possibly see your time investment shrink by several hours. Spent 5 hours working on a lease? Great now the lease is good and only needs slight modification for every re-use. 5 hour initial investment 10minutes every re-use. Once you have a good contractor in place he might only need to be supervised by 3x a week check up. (hell of a lot better than being on site every day no?)

    2)Once you start up teaching again you can simply collect the cash flow from your rental properties and just manage them. Shouldn’t take to much time to do that. And then dedicate maybe two hours looking for off market properties during the weekend?

    3)Impressive. 100k all in 15weeks flip to sell (Lets be positive here.) and "50k" profit even by going by your low ARV, that's not a bad chunk of change.

    4)Having a partner support you is amazing. You found a good one!

    5)Thanks to the ACA you will probably be able to get cheaper health insurance although with a much higher deductible. You should really check into that. (I am the last one that will ever advocate going into government programs… ever, but… if it saves dollars it makes sense)

    6)REI looks like the path that could free up that extra time you want to spend with your kids.

    7)You have doubts. Everyone has doubts. Trouble is if you let those doubts keep you from taking a risk you’ll live a life of regret. Plant your feet and stay the course!

    8)If your hubby dosnt mind being the initial credit for your REI use it!

    9)I’m just a 26 year old guy haven’t made the break from working FT at my office cube, but…. In 10 years I do plan on being “retired” at least not working from a cube any more. My first goal is to get to where my parents do not have to keep slaving away (3 years), then after that I can focus on myself.

    10) GOOD LUCK! Also your rehab... lets see some picutres. Its by far one of my favorite things to follow on BP is the beautiful work that happens when people rehab properties.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 308 posts · 59 votes
    12y

    Assuming you quit, how difficult is it to get back in the workforce?  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.