Where to go and where not to go... in Virginia

7 Replies

Does anyone have a pulse of where to start my "drive for dollars" search for properties in Northern Virginia or Richmond, Virginia? (Mindset of a Wholesaler) - Decent neighborhood/ attractions but house or houses in need of significant TLC. 

What schools do people prefer in NoVa?

Where do the jobs seem to be going?

Attractions that homebuyer would entice home buyers?

What are some other factors (any one in general) uses to find their properties?

There are some good blue collar communities in the east end of Henrico County by the Richmond airport. 70's & 80's ranchers abound in Sandston, Cold Harbor, Highland Springs areas.

Happy hunting!

Medium htlogo2Jon Deavers, Hometown Realty | 804‑601‑6363 | VA Agent # 0225213131

This post has been removed.

@Dante Bellins   You're welcome! If you're ever in town and want a tour of the metro area, just give me a shout.

Medium htlogo2Jon Deavers, Hometown Realty | 804‑601‑6363 | VA Agent # 0225213131

@Jon Deavers How is the market in Richmond? I live in Northern VA and have heard some things about Richmond, so I thought of looking into it a bit more.

I'm looking to buy my second property.  Leaning towards a 2-4 unit property to get more experience.

Any good/bad areas to be aware of?

Thanks

It's really a mixed bag in most neighborhoods in the city limits. There are not many I would say to absolutely stay away from. A lot of the historic neighborhoods have great blocks right next to not so great blocks, so you really need to see it first hand before buying something. That said, I've seen a decent amount of 2-4 plexes on the mls that would cash flow at 100$ per door with minimal repair (many units currently rented). A piece of advice on any area in the city limits is to check with your accountant and the city planning office because there are quite a few properties that can qualify for historic building credits under certain circumstances.  Give me a call sometime and I can go into some more specific detail on the city and set up some search criteria for you so I can keep you posted on properties as they come on the market or into the office pre-listing.

BTW, that $100 per door number was just a rough estimate  using basic 15% down conventional investment mortgage , taxes, insurance, and assumes full list pricing. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you