Investing in raw land

6 Replies

I am an investor in northern Nj considering buying some raw land to build a multi family on. That being said, this is a 2 part question.

1. When I find vacant land how can I find out who owns it?

2. How do I find out if I can build on the land if purchased

Hey Anthony,

Welcome to BP. 

1) stop by your local tax office with the address and they can help you.

2) Same office building should have the code officer in it and he can help with zoning. 

Thanks Sydney Chase

@Anthony Greene , do you have any specific areas in mind? I know the Highlands act has put the brakes on some of the more "rural" areas here.

@Anthony Greene if you know the APN (Assessor's Parcel Number) for the parcel you can contact the county to get ownership info or it may even be freely available online depending on the county. If they county has an online GIS mapping service that may also identify the owner(s).  Check with the county planning and zoning department for allowable uses for the property.  Make sure to also check that the parcel has a clean chain of title before you buy it. Cheers.

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you