Votes
Vicki Gleitz
  • bennett, CO
Votes |
Foundation Confusion Please Help!!!!

Vicki Gleitz
  • bennett, CO
Posted Aug 26 2014, 16:08

Okay,my 20 year old son found a cute little home in pueblo.  They were asking $34,900.  He put in an offer for $30,000 cash.  They accepted it contingent on closing Sept 15 rather than Sept 30.  We received the disclosure papers [ still waiting on title] and we set up an inspection.That was yesterday.  When we spoke with the inspector he said that there was a major drainage problem [by the smell in the crawl space that makes sense] and that the foundation on the 1930 home had shifted about SIX INCHES. He told us what we would need to top the water drainage, but we are concerned about the foundation. Well, we were pretty blown away.  When we spoke with the realtor he said that makes no sense because there are no cracks, [little fixable ones in the foundation] in the interior of the house [exterior has siding] and that the doors and windows are all squared and a marble on the counter does not roll.

our understanding had been that there was only interior cosmetic damage.  That is all there is in the budget for [ not sure how long we can wait for another deal as my son is disabled and my husband and I both very ill, though we both feel good right now] We ARE  paying to have an engineer come out Thursday because of what the realtor said about there being no cracks and such that come with foundations moving.  

IF everything is okay but we need to get gutters and level the yard, can we ask the sellers to help with the costs?  If not, the only way that my son will be able to afford to make the changes is if he waits 6 months or so after renting the place out and has saved more money.

This house needs tons of interior cosmetic work and I have other kids and grandkids who work in fields connected to that, so that is not a problem there.

I really need to know how to advise my son assuming that the inspector made a mistake.  If he did not make a mistake should I suggest my son forget the house { I have already been told that he will receive his earnest money back in that case]

Someone[s] please help!!!!!!!

Loading replies...