Use one interior paint color for all flips and rentals!

16 Replies

I posted this in another thread but felt it warranted it's own thread.  

Yes, I realize that sometimes a different color would do better, but you wouldn't believe how much easier your life will be when you know exactly what color is in and going into each house.  I also use white for the trim.  

I really like Realist Beige from Sherwin Williams.  it was recommended by J. Scott's wife Carol, who has excellent design skills!  I've used it in all flips and rentals for the past four years and I've never received a compliant.  

I like beige or off whites too, you can buy in bulk and it lasts in a 20 gallon buckets and is cheaper in bulk from your paint supplier. S&W is good stuff.  :) 

Medium logoscopiccroppedblue2Bill Gulley, General Real Estate Academy | https://generalrealestateacademy.com

Used J Scott's color on my rehab that I moved into and love it. Sherwin super expensive though. Cut the color in half for a hallway and utility room, and then a color close but darker for the master. 

Yeah I agree SW is expensive, but I've found it to be worth the extra expense.  

We use Baher Raffia Cream on all rentals for walls, semi gloss for trim, and primer just primer for ceilings. 

On higher end properties that actually require some design, I dont think you cant get away with doing builder beige on the entire interior. 

Yep. I use Sherwin's Kilim Beige and white on the lower end stuff.

Get into the higher end stuff I let my agent pick colors.

We do use a single palette across all our rentals - all neutral colours, but grey based, not beige ... it has become a differentiator for us in our student market ;-)

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126

Antique white or white semigloss everywhere or I will try and match existing color

I just used Realist Beige and I thought it had too much of a pink undertone. I wouldn't use it again.

Originally posted by @Jim Zatko :

I just used Realist Beige and I thought it had too much of a pink undertone. I wouldn't use it again.

Interesting.  I've had hundreds of people if not more look at my houses and I've never had a complaint about the color.  Usually people really like it.  

Originally posted by @Jim Zatko :

Next time consider SW "Softer Tan", and you can get it mixed in other brands such as Behr. 

@Cal C. - I assume you aren't using the beige on ceilings and trim ... so maybe more than one color :)

@Steve Babiak   I did say I use white on the trim.  I should have said white on the ceiling also.  :)  However, I have painted a couple of ceilings with the Realist beige.  I can't remember why though, but it worked out well. 

Great. Thanks for sharing!

Adrian Chu, Adrian Chu & Associates | Horizon Real Estate | [email protected] | 2064075452 | WA Agent # 107768, WA Lender # MLO-920749

Ha!  We also stick to one color for our rentals.  I'm not a details person with stuff like that- too much to keep up with.  We also use SW Softer Tan.

Fannie Mae remodels all of their foreclosures before they sell them, Kilim Beige SW I think with white trim, and some standard carpet. 

Do you think they really spring for SW?  Not some other cheaper brand similarly colored?  

Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige or Behr Natural Almond.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you