Should I pay off mortgage early?

5 Replies

Hi all,

With the interest rate so low for the past few years, is it a good idea to pay off the mortgages early?  What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for any insights!

@Xin Z.  depends on your goals and appetite for risk. Low rates make it attractive to borrow money, but owning real estate free and clear is a great accomplishment. Of course cash in hand makes it a lot easier to buy more property. 

Medium pinefinancialgrouplogoTravis Sperr, Pine Financial Group | [email protected] | 303‑835‑4445 | http://www.pinefinancialgroup.com

What's your interest rate? Investing the available cash on the markets should bring in a 7%-10% (conservative) or more if you take risks.  

-------------------------------------

Real Estate Agent Fairfax

You don't give enough information on your goals, what else you would do with the money, etc.  For me, my money can work much harder than saving me 5% interest.

As has been detailed in the above responses, there are 2 answers:

1) Financially, no it does not make sense to pay it off. Just the reverse. With historically low interest rates, you should be borrowing more and locking in long term.

2) Life- style wise, maybe. It's hard to "lose" a house that is owned free and clear.

Where are you in you life and your investing goals? Only you can decide if #1 or #2 makes more sense for you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you