Tax-Defaulted Property

3 Replies

Has anyone had any success with trying to acquire tax-defaulted properties? If so, could you help me understand the process involved? Do you become the property owner by simply paying all the back taxes owed?

InOverMyHead

Did you ever find more information on this? I'd be interested to know.

Thanks

Good luck!

The details vary by state if not county and maybe even city.

Generally you can not take control of the property just by paying the back taxes. In many cases you pay the back taxes and then wait to see what the owner will do or anyone else such as the mortgage holder.

The above applies to tax lien certificates. Some states prevent a certificate from converting into the title. They require a full foreclosure action where anyone can bid. Other states do allow a certificate to convert after a number of years and sufficient notice.

Tax deed sales are different. That is why the tax authority is running an auction and people are bidding for the deed. As you would expect people bid higher when they bid for a deed rather than just the interest from 1 years worth of back taxes.

Many investors in tax lien certificates are in it for the interest and they do not want a property. Hence they are happy with simple interest. Neither good or bad but you need to know what the competition looks like.

There are no guarantees that the property will be worth more than the bank taxes so you have to do your homework.

I have been investing in tax defaulted property for over 5 years. What John said above is correct. There are tax-deed states and tax lien states. There are a lot of excellent resources online to learn more about this topic. Generally speaking, tax deed investing is easier to get started in, but the due diligence is extremely important. You have to make sure the deed issued is one in which a buyer's title company will insure. Some do, some don't. The auctions pay for the back taxes and you have to be able to gauge value prior to the auction which can be tough if you are a beginner. Anyways, I prefer tax defaulted land as I don't like to deal with homes or taking someone's home. Hope this was helpful.

Mark

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here