• Real Estate Broker
  • Canby, OR
Votes |
Oregon Cash Flow

Bill Horton
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canby, OR
Posted Nov 17 2014, 18:33

I live near the Portland Metro area and my goal with real estate is to buy and hold to build passive income to replace the income from my job.  I currently do not own any rentals and only have experience buying two personal residences.  

I have been spending tons of time reading on BiggerPockets, listening to the podcasts, reading books and practicing analyzing properties off MLS.. I have looked at tons of properties on MLS and multi-family properties listed on Loopnet. I find it very difficult to find properties in the Portland Metro area that will provide a great cash flow after all expenses. I try to look at them with the 1% rule and 50% rule in mind..

I know that MLS isn't the best place to find a deal, but even if the prices were significantly lower, it still doesn't seem like it will work. Especially after hearing about the successful investors in Dallas or Phoenix, or other "cash-flow markets" where the prices are much lower.

I'm curious if there are any investors in my area who are buying and holding properties that provide good cash on cash returns and cash flow. If so, I wouldn't mind hearing how those properties have been acquired.  I am very tempted to pick another market to invest in, since I want cash flow.  It might sound dumb, but it just makes me kind of nervous not having easy access to the property.  I guess that might be something I need to get over.  Any good information would be appreciated!

Loading replies...