Flip or Rent REO in Major City

Flip or Rent REO in Major City

Investor · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2014 · 96 posts · 39 votes

I recently purchased a two unit property REO in Baltimore. It needs work, regardless. However, I am really on the fence about whether to flip it or repair for buy and hold. Here are some of the details:

- Two Unit in Good Area, purchased for $45k

Option #1
- Needs around $50,000k of work to ready two rental units in the same property, which would allow for around $2,000-$2,200 of rent per month (meets 2% rule).

Option #2
- Needs probably $100,000-$120,000 of work for a flip. House next door sold for $220k, house across street sold for $210k. So, opportunity for profit of around $40k-50k, all told.

Some additional thoughts/factors:

- There are a lot of opportunities for rental properties in Baltimore that would meet the 2% rule, there are fewer opportunities for flips.
- I originally purchased this with intent to rent, light rehab, and I don't have "full flip" experience.

How would the seasoned investors here approach this? I am REALLY torn, but I really need to make a decision on it ASAP. Thanks for any thoughts.

0Reply
15 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Andover, MA · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 67 votes
    11y

    My personal preference would be to buy and hold if the location is on a steady upward swing - I know Baltimore has some tough areas... That being said, if you go that route, you will be able to reap both long term benefits of rental income plus appreciation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.