2% vs 80% vs 50% I need help

1 Reply

Hello so I have been hearing a lot of conflicting info about these % rules that we use and was hoping to see if someone could clarify between each one and what is one that I should maybe lean on more in property evaluating. Thanks to all of you!  

Hi Lorenzo,

You need to provide a bit more detail in what you're looking into evaluating.  Are you looking for a buy & hold property or a rehab property?

Buy and hold people generally tend to use the 1% rule (although 2% would be better).  Ie; Total investment cost = $100K, then 1% = $1K per month rent MINIMUM to even consider the property.  More is better obviously.

Rehab properties would generally follow a different rule. You want to buy at 70% or below ARV (After renovation value) _AFTER_ the renovation costs. Ie; ARV is $200K, Repairs cost $50K, 70% of $200K = $140K - $50K, which means an offer of $90K or less for that house.

50% pertains to the buy & hold properties.  It's just a rough estimate of what you will spend on monthly operating costs from your rent collected. Ie; $1K per month rent = $500 per month towards taxes, insurance, management, capital expenditure, electricity, heat, sewer, water, lawn care, etc.  But does _NOT_ include cost of money (mortgages, etc).

Hope this helps a bit.  Keep browsing the site, I'm sure these %s are ALL over the place.

Have a good one!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here