A first goal

5 Replies

Hey BP community! I just recently came up with a first goal for my real estate endeavors. I'm thinking of making downpayment on a small 2-4 unit (duplex, triplex, quad) at Oklahoma City, getting financing from an FHA loan, and living in one of the units with a close friend of mine while renting out the other units to cover the mortgage costs and generate a bit of positive cashflow. Does this sound like a feasible and effective plan? Thanks for the help!

There is no doubt,  It is an excellent plan.  Welcome to BP.

Yes, great plan. I don't know OKC but keep in mind that, in general, you'll see the greatest return from lower end properties vs. higher end properties. You have to make the call on what kind of neighborhood you're willing to live in and if the extra return is worth it to you. If you have some numbers on the different options, we can help you better.

Good luck!

house hacking is an awesome way to go. OKC market is pretty tight right now, but hopefully you have/will find a place to your liking!  Keep us posted!

Great but that should not be your first goal! Goal setting should start prior to purchase and continue afterword. The y should be written down, analyzed and quantified at least weekly. What is your exist strategy with the property? Budget? etc.

Do you have a partnership arrangement with your buddy? If they are participating in the deal in any way other than rent- discuss it and write it down. Without it,  it is a good way to loose a friendship.

Welcome to BP-

Great plan to get started in real estate investing, and being able to use FHA money is a big bonus too. Welcome to BP and best of luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here