Broker options after getting TX Real Estate License

2 Replies

Hello BP community,

As I prepare to purchase my 2nd SFR I am once again considering obtaining my TX real estate license. I really want to obtain my license so that I can view properties without having to call up a Realtor and for increasing my knowledge of transactions and real estate markets. I have some questions that are hard to find answers for given the immense number of posts to sort through here on BP.

I am curious whether anyone in the Houston area has been able to find a broker who charges minimal fees for 'hanging' your license.  I have no interest in representing sellers or buyers -- I only want to be involved in my transactions. If you have found a broker, what are the costs? I am trying to make an informed decision. 

I am also aware that there are active and non-active distinctions and would like to know which I would need for my purposes.

Thank you so much for your help

You want one of the "discount" real estate brokerages. I think Champions would qualify... there are several others out there, though. I'm curious to see other suggestions too.

I am familiar with three of them, one of whom is the designated broker for my company. Generally they charge a monthly flat fee in the $100 to $200 range, and then either a commission split or a flat transaction fee when you do a transaction.

If you want more info, PM me and I'll pass along their contact info.

Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.