I'm back after about a year – My College Experience Thus Far and Evaluating My Future

I'm back after about a year – My College Experience Thus Far and Evaluating My Future

Real Estate Investor · Great Falls, MT · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 6 votes

Hi all, 

It's been a while. I've been very busy this year and was never extremely active on the forums, but I have been an avid reader on the site and a regular Podcast listener. 

A while ago, I posted to the forums, "What would be the best college degree to compliment my REI career?" I had numerous different suggestions, and the question even got asked in the Fire Round on a Podcast last July. It seemed like Accounting/Management was the way to go in many peoples' opinions. And, in fact, Accounting is my declared major as of now.

Anyway, now that I'm about 3/4 done with my freshman year, I have thought a lot about what I want to do with my life. 

First in foremost, I honestly still have no idea. I have thought about consulting, being a financial analyst, investment banking, and all sorts of stuff. But, honestly, I'm still tempted to become a real estate agent. I've always had an entrepreneurial spirit and I find the idea of that career exciting, mostly because it's up to me to either make or break my own success. 

My first point leads me to my second: I may drop out. It's not that I don't like college or that I think it's a bad investment of my money, I just don't know if the degree I'm pursuing will really give me an edge given the things I would like to do and accomplish. For instance, I would like to start a business. Would an accounting degree help? Of course! Is it needed? Not at all. I'm still considering the pros and cons of college, and in the process of considering this decision, I am applying some knowledge that I gained in my microeconomics class: do not let sunk costs affect a decision, as the money has already been spent and cannot be recovered. Sure, I took out $8k in loans this year for school (even with considerable scholarships), but in the long run, that $8k is minimal. And, in comparing myself to most college graduates (who tend to have, on average, about $29k in debt upon graduation), I'm not in terrible shape. 

So, this is my update. It has been a fun/strenuous/stressful year, and I have learned a lot about myself. I'm hoping I'll have made my decision made this summer. I'm going to be more active on the forums from here on out, because I have realized that this is a vital point in my life in terms of REI – my first investment may be only a year or two away, so it would be best if I engage with others on the forums.

I'm hoping everyone else has experienced their own personal growth in the last ten months, because I know I sure have. 

Best, 

Jeff

0Reply
23 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · IN · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    I'm in the same boat as you as a college student. Looking to keep updated on your progress and decision

  • Real Estate Investor · Milford, PA · Member since 2014 · 395 posts · 299 votes
    11y

    @Jeffrey Lester  why not become an agent to pay for your accounting education. This will allow you to see if being an agent is really for you and being comfortable around numbers .........do I need to say more :) good luck.

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Jeffrey Lester You could go ahead and get your license while you are in school. There is nothing stopping you from doing this part time while you also go to class. I wouldn't drop out just yet. College is more than just accumulating enough credit to earn a degree. It's an experience and a great bridge from childhood to adulthood. Enjoy this time. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.