Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
I think one of the best advice ever given (and I'm sure I heard it here on BP) was to ask another contractor who they like to follow. So if I was looking for a good person to put up drywall I would ask a painter who always sets him up to make his job easier to finish. Anywhere along the supply chain you should be able to locate the best person to do the job based upon the work being done.
Also another great way that I've done is to visit supply houses and ask the guys who work there who they'd have work on their houses. That gives incredible insight as to who really understands what they do for a living based upon the people who service them.
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
I think one of the best advice ever given (and I'm sure I heard it here on BP) was to ask another contractor who they like to follow. So if I was looking for a good person to put up drywall I would ask a painter who always sets him up to make his job easier to finish. Anywhere along the supply chain you should be able to locate the best person to do the job based upon the work being done.
Also another great way that I've done is to visit supply houses and ask the guys who work there who they'd have work on their houses. That gives incredible insight as to who really understands what they do for a living based upon the people who service them.
Investor · Spring Valley, NY · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 11 votes
11y
I believe the best way is obviously thru referral from other investors in the area. The challenge is that those other investors may not be happy to share the info cause they don't want their contractor to get to busy with you and not be as available for their projects so what I've done is I asked my RE broker if he knows which contractor his other clients are using and are happy with. For me this worked out well. Sometimes good home inspectors may know of good contractors that do quality work and they have no reason not to share who they are.
I have also tried HomeAdvisor and Angie's List but I can't say anything about them before those projects are complete.
Investor · IL · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 20 votes
11y
through networking to find out from rehabber from investor clubs, who do they use? surely not everyone will happy to pass out the info but if you stick around a bit get to know people, surely there will be someone happy to help you out!
Another place to ask is experienced realtor who deals with investor, they might have GC working for their clients for years and are very happy with.
Real Estate Investor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 8 votes
11y
Sometimes investors keep the best contractors close to their vest and they want them available for their projects. The last contractor referred to me by an investor didn't work out. When you get a good one keep him busy. I'm curious about Angie's list contractors and if they charge more than normal?
Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
11y
We ask other flippers who they would recommend and then put all those names on a list of contractors not to call.
I've found the majority of flippers, not all but most have priorities all backwards. They are always looking for a unicorn contractor, the guy who will do everything they want as soon as they want it and at as low a price that they want it. They never find them because they can't exist.
We learned long ago The old adage for construction has always ringed true :
Pick any two : Price, Quality, Service. You can't have all three.
Vendors we use we have used for years and years because we've seeked those that can deliver Quality and Service and paid them the Price they need to do so. We've cultivated good relationships with them, making sure everything is always a win/win for both parties. This allows us to have vendors we can rely on to come when we need them and perform as expected.
It takes time and it takes most importantly due diligence on the investors part to vet your vendors. Good vendors can be found anywhere, they don't hide, they advertise their services, they have websites, they have reviews online. If they don't have any of these things and your continually seeking that hidden contractor by doing detective work, you're probably already barking up the wrong tree and looking in the wrong places.
Originally posted by @Account Closed: The last contractor referred to me by an investor didn't work out.
Driving around town looking for potential investment property deals is a great time to kill two birds with one stone and take a look at who is doing work in the area. You can take down contact information if it's displayed on their vehicle or even stop and chat with them for a few minutes if they're on a break or working outside. There may be some contractors that aren't receptive to being approached while onsite, but as a former full time contractor, I would never decline an opportunity to speak with a prospective client. This is a good way to meet a contractor face to face as well as see their work in person. If you're lucky you may even get to chat with the homeowner about their experience.
Property Manager · Dallas-Fort Worth · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 11 votes
11y
Really good contractors is the pot of gold at the end of the Lucky Charms rainbow you see on their cereal box. Seriously, Lucky Charms was made for REI. Arguably, one of the most daunting and time consuming tasks involved with rehabs, is finding your contractors.
1. At the bank. You can find a contractor anywhere you go. I was standing in line at Chase bank and I noticed a guy get out of his pickup... OK maybe I sized him up, but I was right, he was a contractor with a trade. It was a good lead.
2. Through your kids -- I was dropping off my daughter's friend one afternoon and the family was having work done to their home. I invited myself in mid rehab (seriously) to check out the work. I met with the contractor. It was a good lead. Note: They knew me and were extremely gracious to have me look- I did not just push her aside and run in.
3. Referral from another really good contractor-- really good contractors will only refer other contractors whose work they are familiar with. Key words here are "really good"
4. Driving by new build home job sites-- I always felt a bit uneasy walking on a job site and saying "hey how's it hanging?" or "Eyyyyy que pasa!" But I have heard from fellow investors this works out 90% of the time. Those are pretty good odds. These guys you have to monitor and tell what to do-- but they do it well.
5. Angie's List or Houzz-- I have attended the Houzz presentations and took a photo of the sign in sheet after everyone else signed in... can I do that... I dunno, but I did. I do not have any experience with the actual contractors. Angie's List has worked out well for me. I can read others reviews, they are graded, sometimes reviews have the amount of the job listed. I think it's a great resource to have access to.
6. Church-- Can I get an AMEN! This can go two ways, really awesome or really badly. It's always worked out well for me. They are honest, hard working, and let's be real, you know the same community of people they do, including the man upstairs... this is not a job they want to go badly. I'm sure it's happened, but just another avenue.
LASTLY-- regardless of how I find them, I ALWAYS ask for at least 3 referrals for the most recent jobs they have completed and CALL those references. I ask if they showed up on time or when they said they would, did they complete the work, did they try to change the $$ amount mid work or after it was done, and would you use them again.
It seems like a lot of steps because it is. However, really good contractors is crucial to how smoothly you want your rehab to go.
Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 293 posts · 96 votes
11y
I recommend checking with your Realtor. Here's why, speaking from personal experience:
1) Good Realtors work by referral to generate their own business and part of that is by making good referrals to other professionals. You can bet if you have an experienced Realtor he/she is going to refer someone that has completed work and made their previous clients happy.
2) Since Realtors are typically touching more deals than investors (save the big production folks) they are more likely to have worked with multiple contractors and can give you feedback on the good ones.
Architect · Clifton, VA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 5 votes
11y
The best solution to finding a good contractor is find 3 good contractors. It's way too easy to get cozy with what you think is a good situation with a contractor. Competition is what drives price and quality. All of my contractors know that I know other contractors and because I am honest, respectful and fair they are willing to give me their best ...price, quality, attention. It's not my job to keep them busy, if they are good they keep themselves busy. And because I am honest and fair they prefer to work on my projects because my competition is more likely looking for a way to pay too little for too much. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered ..... it's true from the top down.
Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2013 · 264 posts · 104 votes
11y
Sometimes its best to start right in your network. I happened to partner on my first deal with a close friend who is also a general contractor. @Rob Beattie
Even if he was too busy to handle the situation he could have pointed me in the right direction.
Investor · Gardendale, AL · Member since 2014 · 96 posts · 33 votes
11y
I go to the local fire station and ask for referrals. I know from experience because I am a firefighter. I personally get my HVAC, carpenter's and so on from the morning coffee table.
Also like following J Scott tip. Take some breakfast snacks and be at local Lowe's or Home Depot or local construction material location and show up around 6am. That is when the legit contractors are showing up.
Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 0 votes
11y
Well I actually approach it the same way as I do when trying to find a seller. When I do my Contractor interviews, I explain how we do not hire or let just anyone into our network. Express how big of an opportunity it will be as you are entering a circle of top realtors, lawyers and investors. This usually excites the great Contractors and scares the CRAP out of novice Contractors! If they know that YOU know your business then it sends a clear message of 'no nonsense' allowed. Of course ask for the usual suspects: Liability Insurance, Licenses etc...(but remember only Licenses and Insurance do equal GOOD!
Been running construction for over 20 years and competition definitely does not drive quality up it drives it down. When competition forces prices down quality ALWAYS suffers. Logic dictates when a contractor is forced to take on a job at sub-standard prices due to competition you can absolutely bet corners are going to be cut. I'm not talking out right fraudulent corners such as substitution of sub-standard materials, I'm talking no extras are going into your project, just good enough becomes more than good enough. I've yet to see that universal truth broken in construction. I can't tell you how many times there is a problem with a job site and out of the mouth of the contractor comes those famous words "I'm not making any money on this job anyways... F' em."
On the second part about being fair-- nothing creates a better working environment then a fair customer and nice customer. Crappy customers who piss everyone off get workers taking a dump in their attic, sweet hearts who set out a cooler of cold drinks for the crew, get crew members always doing little extras and gong the extra mile for them. Honey versus vinegar.
Insurance Agent · AZ · Member since 2013 · 306 posts · 161 votes
11y
@Brandon Turner I am not sure if I'm allowed to post a business on here, but there is an individual in the Washington State area who owns a business; whereby, she vets various types of contractors. What I like about how she does it, is that she is the intermediary (so to speak) between the contractor and the client, and she is involved in the process to ensure that every detail is handled well.
With that being said, her primary client base is for SFH that are OO, but she does do a bit of business with investors. If anyone wants additional info, you can PM me, or if I can put the link to her business on here, I'll do that. Happy Thursday!
Contractor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 68 votes
11y
As much as I hate to judge people, look at the individual. If they take no pride in their appearance, their equipment, or how their company is represented chances are they won't take pride in their work. I speak as a contractor and in my circle you can usually tell pretty quick who cares about they do and who only cares about a paycheck. This isn't a hard and fast rule set in stone, but I think it can help weed out non performers and problem causers.
Rental Property Investor · Liberty Hill, TX · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 166 votes
11y
I would like to suggest that the best way to find a good contractor is to be a good client. Give them clear detailed instructions of your needs, Contractors are not mind readers. If you give contractors a clear list of expectations you will find your task much easier.
All the ideas in the above posts are fine but if a Realtor, subcontractor or a good friend refers you to a great contractor it won't matter if you are unclear about what you want and will only confuse the contractor.
Many newbies and others who constantly complain on BP about the contractors they attract are looking for much more than a contractor. If you want a designer, a handholder or a buddy thats fine but hire a designer, and get a friend not a contractor. A contractor coming to a job is not generally prepared to read your mind and come up up with a design for you. Know what you want. If your impression of how to work with a contractor comes from a flip show be prepared as that is not the real world. If you want to insure you lose money on your flip don't have a plan and change your mind daily.
Choosing a good contractor is not calling 3 people and choosing the one with the lowest price. If you don't have a clear idea of what you expect how can they. Explain what you want, how fast you want it done and your expectations about quality of work and materials. If price is your only driving factor you will get the cheapest price and cheapest work. If you want it done quickly the contractor needs to know that is what is important to you. If you just want cheap and drive his price down to bare bones he may, as many on BP have already found, they start and then disappear for more a more profitable job.
Ask, Ask, Ask questions. The contractor can make or break your project. He may be the best around and a great price but if he cannot finish your project in the timetable you set don't hire him and expect he will drop his other job for yours. He won't and if he does I would be very suspicious of whether he would disappear at the end of my job too.
Don't hire unlicensed and uninsured contractors. That should go without saying but many people will hire a handyman to save 5 bucks. Handymen are for small projects not rehabs and remodels. And the most obvious don't hire anyone you think you have to watch; what a waste of your time.
Contractor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 68 votes
11y
Remember, cheap, quick or good. You can only pick one.
@Martin Scherer is dead on, be a good client, treat your contractor good and fair. You try to nickel and dime him to death I guarantee he'll get his nickels and dimes back somehow, and then you'll be here complaining about how bad he was.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 17 votes
11y
Referrals work both ways.
If you find a good contractor, I think you should make it your best interest to refer them to non-investor home owners that need projects done. Those are the types of customers looking for quality work and are commonly less concerned with the lowest possible price, assuming they are given a fair rate.
Also, be fair with your contractor. It takes time to establish a relationship. Know what you want and make quick decisions. Don't waste their time, just like you don't want them to waste yours.
Contractors need motivation to work, and let's be honest, we're not paying top dollar, so they need to feel appreciated and respected, while having respect for you.