What are your "prerequisites" in finding the right investment property?

What are your "prerequisites" in finding the right investment property?

Rental Property Investor · Billerica, MA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 10 votes

OK, this might be very broad, but I'm putting together my list of what I want to invest in so my broker can start looking.  I'm looking at two options: "very local" multi-families in the Lowell, MA area and property in Florida (where I used to live and have a buddy still there and his wife is a real estate broker and he used to flip/hold houses before the market crashed on him).

Both are for income purposes.  Not for vacation, etc...

What are the down and dirty GO/NO GO criteria to guide one to success in their buying strategies?

Hopefully there will be a ton of posts with all sorts of angles.  I can't wait to pick some brains :)

Thanks everyone,

Johnny

0Reply
28 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 263 posts · 141 votes
    11y

    1. Location is first for me.  I want properties near hospitals, colleges, military bases, or transportation.  They have to be less than an hour from the main business district is. 

    2. 6-10% ROI.

    3. More 2 bedroom units than 1 bedroom.

    4. parking

    5. B & C neighborhoods.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Single Family: 3 Bedroom 2 Bath or 4 Bedroom 2 Bath

    Best Neigbhorhood/worst house

    Class A - B properties

    Great School District

    Appreciation above inflation

    12-15% cash on cash investment

    Value Add Need- Distressed, Short Sale or Work

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    SW Florida here:
    I prefer to buy newer construction 1995 or newer if possible (insurance reasons)
    CBS preferred over wood frame (huge price increase for wood frame on insurance)
    Below market---this is HUGE for me.....if the market drops I may not be underwater
    A or B neighborhoods
    3/2/2 minimum in most cases...no 2 bedroom houses (they don't fit the demographics)
    The deal has to make sense, have appeal to tenants, and pay me to own it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Billerica, MA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Thanks everyone!  I appreciate the info.  It helps to open my eyes to places like Lelith mentioned.  Does anyone have any advice on common things that arise to walk away from?  I guess signs that the house isn't what you think it is and to walk away?

    Thanks,

    Johnny

  • Rental Property Investor · Billerica, MA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Anyone else have any pre-req's?

    Single Family Pre-req's:

    Multi-Family Pre-req's:

    Johnny

  • Burlington, MA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Just food for thought!  I just read the book written by the owners of Zillow.  Probably the best book on market analysis and what makes neighborhoods appreciate more than others.  Honestly, couldn't put the book down.  One example is houses a mile or less from a Starbucks!  They back everything they write up with statistics.  They also write about gentrification and how neighborhoods gentrify...examples NY neighborhoods.  Just wanted to throw that out.  Thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · Billerica, MA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    @Michael Tulipano good to see someone local!  I'm looking for a new book to read, just finished The Millionaire Real Estate Investor and looking for something to give me an edge on the market.  I'll have to check it out.  Have you bought anything yet or been to any of the meetings?

    Johnny

  • Burlington, MA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    I read the Millionaire Real Estate Investor too....Great book!  Haven't bought anything yet...Hoping to go to a meeting soon.  You?

  • Rental Property Investor · Billerica, MA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    In my RE License course.  Haven't bought, still debating on exactly what to buy and how much to spend on 1st deal.  Reached out about a couple deals, but either realtors don't want to make money or they are making too much....because a few of them just never got back to me on listings....

    There's a MassRealEstate Meeting tuesday in Peabody I'll be trying to get to.  I just downloaded the ABC of real estate investing.  It should be a quick read.  Trying to soak it all in so I don't eff up my first deal ;)

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    11y

    I am looking for side-by-side duplexes. To me, these are like buying 2 SFRs with 1 loan. They can be responsible for all yard work and snow removal.

  • Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 472 posts · 132 votes
    11y

    Around 20k or lower price

    Low taxes (~600 ish)

    No stolen pipes or furnaces common in the area.

    Little or no work needed

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.