Trim

8 Replies

Is white trim and doors out? I've noticed a lot of the apartments in Houston have tan doors with matching tan trim. Maybe it's different with apartments than houses. 

Medium logoShanequa J., Vantage Investment Properties | (713) 481‑2468 | http://www.housesbyvip.com | TX Agent # 655962

Assuming you mean interior I say go with bright white trim and doors. Very clean. Clearly different markets have different trends but white is clean and timeless. It always looks good. 

@Shanequa J.

I've noticed the same thing.  For now I'm sticking with white trim and doors because they've been the norm for so long and I love the crisp clean look myself but I'm planning on keeping an eye on this.

@Shanequa J. @Dana Whicker does the tan trim and doors match the walls?  I know some property owners who paint the entire interior the same color to save time and labor.  I still like the white myself.  

@Michael Hicks the interior is painted a neutral color usually a light tan and the trim/doors are a darker tan. The combination looks nice. 

I like white too, but don't want my properties to be viewed as dated. 

Medium logoShanequa J., Vantage Investment Properties | (713) 481‑2468 | http://www.housesbyvip.com | TX Agent # 655962

I think it's safer to go with timeless looks, rather than a trend.  White will always be acceptable.  But, when new colors or trends come...they eventually go...and then you have to repaint or look dated.

For instance, I personally think the stainless steel appliances of today are the next avocado green. :-)  Can't stand the look.  I feel like I'm living in a meat locker.

Originally posted by @Sue Kelly:

I think it's safer to go with timeless looks, rather than a trend.  White will always be acceptable.  But, when new colors or trends come...they eventually go...and then you have to repaint or look dated.

Remember the quick-lived accent wall phase?  Yikes.  

@Sue K. I like black appliances more than stainless. It looks too industrial to me. Black is usually a few more bucks or sometimes the same price as white. 

The avocado phase reminds me of the all glass tile. 

I have been having the same question - We have a Tri Plex built in 1985 that is getting a light remodel due to some deferred maintenance from the previous owner. The trim and doors are all a darker walnut color (original) and the walls are white. We are replacing the old carpet flooring with a vinyl plank in one unit which is forcing us to change the base boards as well. I originally wanted to go with white but that would require replacing or repainting all the trim and doors in the entire unit. The dark walnut doesn't look bad to I think we'll just replace the baseboard with the same dark walnut stained wood but go with a 3" or more baseboard as opposed to the original 1.5". Again, I'd go with white if we were willing to replace it all but to save time and $$$$ we're sticking with the same color for these units. If the next set is higher end maybe we'll be forced to go with white. We'll see. 

Medium 4dlogoGarrett Diegel, 4D Properties LLC | 7758006126

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you