Is Shenandoah Pennsylvania a good rental market?

4 Replies

Hi everyone. I am a wholesaler in New Jersey but I just got one under contract in Shenandoah, PA. Is that a good rental market? 

Hi Clayton,   

I'm a newbie looking at that part of central Pennsylvania, though closer to the Williamsport market.  I see you've not been there long, but what is your finding in Shenandoah so far? 

Thanks, Pat

High guys...my first post... I'm a newbie here myself and I live in  central PA. There is some good oppertunity here... The area. you guys are talking about can be a little sketchy, though,  to say the least. It's a fairly depressed area with crime, unemployment, drugs, etc....BUT the real estate is very cheap and it rarely appreciates. Sooo, having said that, a lot of DD is required... A lot of section 8, also... If you need any other info, don't hesitate to PM or ask here...

Good luck, john.

Agreed with last thread. Was in Shenandoah last Friday following up on a lead. I have campaign that way. Tough area to move properties. Hazelton isn't bad though from what I see.

Hi,

I completely agree with the previous two posts.  I grew up there. The area is on a massive decline. There's been a lot of fires over the last few years. The borough has no money and can't really do anything to repair issues in the town. There are many abandoned, falling houses - a big fire hazard to residents. (There's one on nearly every block.) However, there are some hard working people there so tenants will pay. You have some big factories in the surrounding areas which helps. But I don't see a lot of new business going into the area. I would look closer to Frackville or anywhere thats closer to Interstate 81 for workers getting to/from the many plants withing 15-20 miles.  Hazleton has a lot of plants near I81 exits, but that is also a tough area as far as crime goes.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.