Real estate agent

6 Replies

I was thinking about getting a Real estate license to be able to access the MLS, is that possible without having to show people houses? Or is it even worth it?

Ok! I'm gonna look into it then. 

A key is getting with a brokerage that understands you just want to invest and not make being an agent your career.

They might not want "dead weight" at their company or spend time training when you don't produce a return back for them. A brokerage is looking for the highest ROI just like an investor or an agent is for their business.

Part of your IC agreement will spell out expectations and some do actually require you to do certain things to be at their company so check it out.

Medium allworldrealtyJoel Owens, All World Realty | [email protected] | 678‑779‑2798 | http://www.AWcommercial.com | Podcast Guest on Show #47

I would say no. If Indiana is like other states, you'll have to hang your license with a broker. And you won't find too many brokers who will be willing to work with you if you don't intend to actually buy and sell houses. And brokers frequently have desk fees and other monthly expenses you'll have to pay.

In my opinion your best bet is to find an agent who will work with you. Perhaps pay them a fee to do MLS searches for you. And make them the buyer's agent when you find something you want to buy.

I agree with Fred Heller. Getting the license is not easy and getting set up once you have the license is costly. I work with investors in Maryland - through me they have access to the MLS. That said, the reason I became an agent was because I love houses and investing and it was hard finding an agent that would work with me.

Truthfully now that I'm an agent I play on Trulia and Zillow as much as I play on the MLS.

Originally posted by @Cori Barnes :

I was thinking about getting a Real estate license to be able to access the MLS, is that possible without having to show people houses? Or is it even worth it?

Yes....and Yes... and if you are smart, you will use your license for more than that!  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you