How to 'hide' from your tenants. Need suggestions.

45 Replies

Originally posted by @Nicolas Franckenfeld :

I do have a Manager, but I need to go out there occasionally to check up on the place as we move the property out of this state

??? How do you move real property to another state?

Originally posted by @Sylvia B. :
Originally posted by @Nicolas Franckenfeld:

I do have a Manager, but I need to go out there occasionally to check up on the place as we move the property out of this state

I assume he means out of this "state of being" or "state of disrepair"....as opposed to physical location. 

Originally posted by @Sylvia B. :

The particular condition of this property at this specific time

Originally posted by @Rob Beland :

This all seems like a lot of work, a lot of hassle, and a lot of money spent so somebody won't know you are the owner. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Be the owner. Meet your tenants. Introduce yourself. Give them the phone number of your property manager. They aren't going to care who they call. They aren't going to care who answers the phone as long as somebody fixes their leaking pipe. This is an interesting thread to follow. You people must have very rich accountants and attorneys with all of the money you spend creating entities that hide other entities and the LLCs and the registered agents the Trust doing business as the S-Corp. It's all dizzying...have a good day. Good luck @Nicolas Franckenfeld

I've worked for a couple of very successful investors who retired in there 50s.  They had separate LLCs for the all the property resale projects (most were estate props worth more than $10M).  They used their downtown attorneys and accountants as their registered agents.  It just wasn't that big of a deal.  They were totally aware of being exposed to liability.  The LLCS and massive insurance policies were used to attempt to limit this.  They had no privacy because the properties were very well known to the community, regardless of what entity owned and managed them. 

The trouble with hiding truth from tenants is that it's a bad business relationship set up.  I don't believe in karmic law, but the Golden Rule still works. No one appreciates it when tenants distort the truth, like when they have their parents act as their landlord reference.  To me, saying you are the PM when you are the owner is the same thing.  

Originally posted by @David Krulac :

@Nicolas Franckenfeld

If the property and the tenants are trouble, why buy the property?

really? those are the best type of properties to own!

what do you think the flipping business is all about? getting a gem priced high and flipping it for a HIGHER price?

i can't believe you were featured in a  podcast and asked this question.

Originally posted by @Bill S. :

@Nicolas Franckenfeld based on what you have said, I would be more worried about one of the thugs following you home or to your office and getting your information that way. Personally I have found that folks who use the internet frequently think that everyone understands how to find people. Hiding can be difficult if you have savvy people chasing you down. I would say two layers until they find you would be adequate. Any more than that and you are likely to make a mistake and leave a track somewhere that people can find. 

I've seen some heavy duty LLC layering. But it's often for owners and businesses out of the country and/or businesses who are involved with money laundering.

For actual personal safety concerns for the OP and his family, this isn't about entity layers.  If you want real privacy:  Don't buy it or don't work on site.  It'll be hard for you to hide your ownership while on site.  The other staff and mgmt are your employees and will act as such. Indeed, your car and your MO on the property will determine the assumptions the tenants make. 

Originally posted by @Sylvia B.:

The particular condition of this property at this specific time

Originally posted by @Matt Devincenzo:
Originally posted by @Sylvia B.:

I do have a Manager, but I need to go out there occasionally to check up on the place as we move the property out of this state.

I assume he means out of this "state of being" or "state of disrepair"....as opposed to physical location.

Now don't I feel stupid?!

Originally posted by @George P. :
Originally posted by @David Krulac:

@Nicolas Franckenfeld

what do you think the flipping business is all about? getting a gem priced high and flipping it for a HIGHER price?

Wow.  David owns (and has sold) more property than you ever will.  No offense.  He's no stranger to property and tenant challenges (understatement).  There are more options in value-add plays than buying crime invested MFs.  When you own that much you can pass on the ones with personal safety concerns. 

I think we're all being trolled anyway.  The OP isn't using his real name, there isn't any evidence that he owns anything or actually has any experience.  His last thread was about buying a crime invested MH park. 

If tenant could take a picture of you - they will find your real name in Facebook and your real home address in internet :))) just few clicks :))) topic is interesting though :))) Or they could find your name and address if they have seen your car or know your phone number
Originally posted by K. marie P.:

That being said, most thugs have limited internet PI skills.  :)

You might be very surprised... 

I have met people I would not hesitate to describe with the word "thug" who had some serious skills with computers, and others who had a very sophisticated understanding of the financial system.  And one person affiliated with a notorious OMG who knows a whole lot about real estate!

I agree withe everything else you posted though, especially the need to set up a good business relationship from the start by not lying to people.

Originally posted by @Richard C. :
Originally posted by @K. marie P.:

That being said, most thugs have limited internet PI skills.  :)

You might be very surprised... 

No I would not be surprised.  Many thugs have professional help for areas where their skill set is limited.  See Breaking Bad and The Wire.  However, first the OP posted that his tenants were using every legal angle to tie up the property, then he took it back saying they weren't that savvy, but rather complainers who know the right numbers to call.  At this point, I just don't think the OP's scenario calls for anything other than common sense when it comes to his personal safety. He's the one that brought up risk/reward. You can reduce risk but not eliminate it.  Buy or don't buy it.  

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

I think we're all being trolled anyway.  The OP isn't using his real name, there isn't any evidence that he owns anything or actually has any experience.  His last thread was about buying a crime invested MH park. 

@K. marie P.     Why the call out?  Did I break some sort of BP protocol? If so, apologies as I am new on this board.   If not, why do you want to limit this forum to only those you believe have experience? And to only those that post what you believe is their real name?  Why do you not use your real name? 

As a side note, you might be surprised if you knew about my experience in REI. If you need help with something, I won't pre-judge you and will be more than happy to answer....especially if you start using your real name. (just kidding)

Thanks all.  It is an interesting topic once you get past some of the hyperbolic and jump-to-conclusions posts. 

I wonder if any of your tenants are BP members...

Kudos,

Mary

Wear a shirt that says "maintenance" on the back.

Frank

Originally posted by K. marie P.:
Originally posted by @George P.:
Originally posted by @David Krulac:

@Nicolas Franckenfeld

Wow.  David owns (and has sold) more property than you ever will.  No offense.  He's no stranger to property and tenant challenges (understatement).  There are more options in value-add plays than buying crime invested MFs.  When you own that much you can pass on the ones with personal safety concerns. 

i know about dave and i listened to the podcast, i am not disputing his "resume". i am just amazed that he asked this question when what we do is "seize opportunities to bring up value and quality of tenants".

@K. marie P.     Why the call out?  Did I break some sort of BP protocol? If so, apologies as I am new on this board.   If not, why do you want to limit this forum to only those you believe have experience? And to only those that post what you believe is their real name?  Why do you not use your real name? 

As a side note, you might be surprised if you knew about my experience in REI. If you need help with something, I won't pre-judge you and will be more than happy to answer....especially if you start using your real name. (just kidding)

Thanks all.  It is an interesting topic once you get past some of the hyperbolic and jump-to-conclusions posts. 

Well actually the BP terms of use require that you sign up with your real name.  There are lots of variations on how that plays out, including the option to use your initial etc in your profile, etc. I'm not an agreement with that policy, btw.  Regardless, those are the rules.  So you chose to break the rules.

It's interesting that this thread is about privacy and it's posted by someone who isn't using their real name.  At least it's consistent.

I don't want to eliminate anybody with lack of experience.  Good god look at my post history and the kinds of questions I answer.  It's the sensation grabbing topics where people actually take the time to respond and initially take the OP at their word.  Like you're buying a $MM building where your personal safety is at issue.  

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

Well actually the BP terms of use require that you sign up with your real name.  There are lots of variations on how that plays out, including the option to use your initial etc in your profile, etc. I'm not an agreement with that policy, btw.  Regardless, those are the rules.  So you chose to break the rules.

It's interesting that this thread is about privacy and it's posted by someone who isn't using their real name.  At least it's consistent.

I don't want to eliminate anybody with lack of experience.  Good god look at my post history and the kinds of questions I answer.  It's the sensation grabbing topics where people actually take the time to respond and initially take the OP at their word.  Like you're buying a $MM building where your personal safety is at issue.  

And exactly how do you know that is not my real name? Do you need me to send you some sort of proof?  Just odd.....oh well.

My guess is she finds your last name to be made up because of how it sounds/looks. But I could be wrong. Anyway, it is a true last name, just unique. ;-)

Have you started conversations with the business leaders and police department in that community? I don't expect "hiding" legally is going to provide any real sense of comfort. 

Once there is illegal activity its a completely different ball game. Changing the tenant profile will make you sleep better at night and raise the value of your investment. Work on changing the profile right away. The longer its drawn out the more likely you'll be faced with a difficult situation.

True story...I know of one investor that spoke of the police raiding his apartment complex a couple of weeks after his purchase. In preparation for a fence upgrade the contractors had greased the fence the days before. This made it very difficult for those to escape raid day. 

Just curious, but why would a contractor "grease" a fence?

Originally posted by @Tom V. :

Nobody who owns pit bulls is very bright.  Dont buy a junk property if you are worried about it.

Neither are people who make statements like that.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here