New AFFH Rule

2 Replies

Does anyone know what this will do to every day investors? I just saw on FB and curious to what you all think... http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/420896/massive-government-overreach-obamas-affh-rule-out-stanley-kurtz

I posted a similar post and got no replies.... very odd.  I figured this would be a hot topic for landlords considered it could force sec. 8 housing acceptance no matter where your properties are. 

I read the article you linked to, as well as the actual rule and the executive summary of it. However, I fail to see how/why it would have much (if any) impact on individual landlords. Seems to be directed at HUD participants/grantees (i.e. federal agencies and federal grantees, which could include local governments) and to be a way for them to analyze/plan/assess their fair housing priorities/goals.

I also didn't read anything about forcing landlords to accept Section 8.  I don't even know how they could.  In some cities, counties and states throughout the nation, it is already prohibited to discriminate based on source of income (like Section 8), but even in those jurisdictions it doesn't "force" the landlord to accept it.  It generally just means that you cannot outright refuse to rent to Section 8 tenants simply because they participate in the program and that you should screen them like any other applicant.  But if they don't meet your criteria for some other reason (i.e. credit, criminal history, prior eviction, etc), then there is no more obligation to accept them as your tenant than there would be with any other non-Section 8 applicant.

Was there something more to this rule that you found that I missed?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.