Rent or Own?

6 Replies

Most people who visit this site are interested in real estate investing.  There are many different pros/cons and opinions whether to rent or own your primary residence.  House hacking is also becoming more popular with investors and could make a huge difference in whether to rent or own.  

I own my primary residence and have never tried renting.  But I am interested in hearing other opinions on renting vs owning. 

I am curious to hear who rents and who owns their primary residence and WHY.  

I own. It's not just a financial decision, I am more comfortable owning my primary residence and by owning it I mean completely paid off. I'll hit that goal on my 40th birthday and it will give my wife the comfort level she needs to go along with my other crazy ideas.

@Joe Bertolino

To own your primary residence allows for much lower liabilities each month which makes financial freedom easier to obtain.  I have a mortgage as well and would someday love to own my home free and clear.  But for now the goal is to increase cash flow to pay for my bad debt!  

I have seen articles all over the internet that say home ownership is at a all time low and rental vacancies are very low as well.

Who still prefers owning over renting for your primary residence?

I think one of the reasons for a low home ownership at the moment is because people are being very mobile right now. They don't know how long they're going to stay at a place so they don't want to go through with owning a home. 

Good time to be landlords haha

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here