What makes a bedroom a bedroom?

8 Replies

I purchased a property listed as a 1BR/2BA.  The bedroom and baths are all downstairs.  It has 2 decent sized upstairs rooms that have been converted from attic space.  They are finished, with window ac units in each. There are no closets upstairs but plenty of room for bed, dresser, toybox, etc.

I'm hoping to market this through section 8 as a 3 bedroom rental.  Is this a show stopper because of the angled ceilings and  no closets in those 2 upstairs rooms?  Anyone have experience with this?  Is this something the section 8 inspector will look for?

Thanks!

It varies from state to state, but in my experience it must have a traditional closet to be considered a bedroom

Just found something online saying there are 4 requirements. 

1- two methods of egress. Doors or windows

2- Ceiling 7ft tall in 50% of the sqft

3- 1 method of egress other than the entrance point (seems redundant)

4- 70+ sqft with all measurements being 7ft+

I believe that Jeremy is correct. Another issue to consider is if you have any bedrooms that are below grade (most of the room is located below ground). If the windows do not have proper egress (meaning a child could escape out of the in the event of a fire), you may have difficulty with government agencies approving that room as a bedroom.

I'm pretty sure #2 is a no-go for me.  Anyone had an inspector come out before finding a tenant?  Maybe I'll get a lousy inspector.

Otherwise, I'll be looking for conventional renter. 

In WA state, must have a window and closet.

If closets are the limiting factor, I can put small closets in.  If ceiling height is an issue, I'll have to live with it.

Still waiting on closing and then light rehab. 

and in some states the size of the window matters.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you