Pay Off Debt or Invest?

2 Replies

I searched this site and saw other similar questions, but everyone’s situation is unique. I have some “bad” debt. It totals about $15,000, so not horrendous, but I still hate having it. These are approximations--$2,700 on a Menard’s card, $5,000 is on student loans, and about $7,500 is on a credit card with no interest for the next several months. I also already have rental properties…a 3-plex, a one-bedroom house, and an apartment that is above the house that I live in. My house that I live in is paid off, but I have a mortgage on the one-bedroom house and on my 3-plex. I have about $2,000 each month that I can do with whatever I want after bills are paid. I am torn about what I’d like to do with it. I really would like to save and invest in another property, and then use all that new cash flow to pay off my debts. However, if I just bucked up and threw all my current cash flow towards my standing debt, I would pay that off in just over seven months. I can’t decide which is the smarter move. I believe in being (bad) debt-free, but I also believe in increasing my income. I’ve been looking at a duplex that would give me an extra $1,000 monthly. I bet I get different answers, but what would you do? What should I do? I am new to this site, and this is the first question I’m throwing out there.

Everyone has a different opinion. That being said, I personally am of the opinion that the investment market will be changing shortly. I know in my area deals are drying up. Therefore I personally am putting an emphasis on growth now. When deals dry up my first emphsasis will be on paying everything off. Again everyone has a different risk tolerance, position etc. We are duel income low expenses no kids so this works for me. 

If you are absolutely confident that the duplex can net you $1000 a month, I'd take that. Then you can pay off your bad debt in five months when there aren't good deals staring you in the face.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here