Education Quest

5 Replies

Hello, 

Been doing my own studying, a class with Reia, listened and read great BP info, unsuccessfully searched for a mentor...  would like more comprehensive education on Real Estate Investing-no gimmicks and reasonably priced.  Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Originally posted by @Mecia R. :

Hello, 

Been doing my own studying, a class with Reia, listened and read great BP info, unsuccessfully searched for a mentor...  would like more comprehensive education on Real Estate Investing-no gimmicks and reasonably priced.  Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Take your state;s real estate licensing exam.

You don't need to get a license if you don't want to (though you probably should.)  The class will be a good general introduction to real estate.  I expect it will cost less than $500.

Aah okay, so you believe that is an informative option for one who is particularly interested in learning methods of real estate 'investing' as opposed to learning to be a real estate agent?  Thank you Richard!

Richard is absolutely correct! Learn real estate before trying to deal in real estate.

You can get a used text book for real estate agent's classes on Amazon, about $30 or less. They don't need to be the latestedition because the basics of real estate have not changed for decades!

Shortly, there will also be a site, General Real Estate Academy that will have the basics of real estate as agents are taught but it is geared toward investors instead of agents. I am contributing to the site with free, yes free, materials. I'm also a non-paid spokes person for me and GREA. Currently looking at the entity as an educational foundation for investors. There will be a small membership fee, when I say small I mean like a decent dinner out for two as an annual membership. Information will appear in the marketplace forums soon, this is not meant as a solicitation but information as requested. (Frankly, my taxes are complicated enough without adding some new venture!)

You can also start checking out government related sites, HUD, CFPB, Fannie Mae, State Economic Development programs, and professional associations, like ALTA, concerning closing requirements, AIA, for property valuations, NAR has information geared for Realtors.

I also suggest you check out lawschool sites, Harvard Law Review has articles dealing with business, entities, real estate and financial topics. Standford, Yale, the "Ivy's" all have similar publications on line.

If people would just accept the fact that they really need to learn an industry to profit in it, learn to study and get on reptable sites, the gurus would die on the vine! :)   

Thank you Richard and Bill.  I've considered this but wasn't sure for those reasons previously mentioned.  Makes sense now that you both have explained it so well. 

I'll be looking out for GREA also.

Many thanks!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you