2 Replies

Hello BP Community,

I would really appreciate if anyone can answer this question for me. I have plans to meet with a realtor next week for a cup of coffee. To discuss my goals that I want to accomplish at this time, but I haven't had any success at keeping realtors motivated to continue working with me. The realtors I been dealing with are not acting in a professional way. I have come to a conclusion that most realtors are, so closed minded and not willing to explore new opportunities

My question is what to say to the realtor and explain to them the advantages with working with investors? What incentives can i provide them to keep their interest? I'm a rookie and I want to meeting to be productive.  thanks,

My goal is : expired Listings

Hi Lakeesha!

I am sorry to hear that the Realtors you have interacted with have not acted professionally. I would recommend presenting yourself professionally in this next meeting is a good starting point (not to say you have not been, but just a friendly reminder).  With a bit of professional dress and presenting a framework for what you intend to accomplish, if not a full plan to build off of such as your property search criteria and your long term goals, even a newer Realtor who is still learning, or a less than professional agent will be more likely to succeed and stick around because you have set and can manage their expectations from that point moving forward.  

In regards to the close-minded attitudes, I would say that some Realtors are comfortable in their niches and, as you mentioned, may or may not be open to different opportunities because they are comfortable, complacent, or have enough business otherwise.  Seek out someone who is and shares your vision, and screen for agents that work with expired listings since that is what you personally want to work on (note that this is a tough market and takes a thick skinned agent and not all will do this as a result). 

To keep a Realtor that you are starting to work with engaged, I think this goes back to managing expectations up front. Let them know that if they can help you start to achieve your goals, an opportunity for a steady stream of listings will potentially be available to them when you turn a property over (if you are a doing a buy&sell based strategy for example).  A sharp agent will see an opportunity for continued business and potential referrals.

I hope this helps Lakeesha! Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to reach out to me personally if you need more specific advice.

@Lakeesha Romero , I am not sure that a Realtor will want to hear that "(your) goal is : expired Listings". What they want to know is: how are you going to help THEM? Have you got a lengthy list of cash Buyers that you could bring to their Sellers? That sort of thing. Good luck...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you