fha loan

7 Replies

With an FHA loan is there a certain amount of time you have to live in the home before you can rent it out?

I read a few of your comments and I tell you're very knowledgable. I'm trying to prepare myself for a 203k loan. Is it anywhere that you would recommend me finding comprehensive information about it?

Upen Patel

Yes, 1 year it is.

@Upen Patel  

To follow up on @Samuel Wynn 's question...is it possible to buy another property with another owner-occupied 5% down FHA loan after the 1 year? Or would you need to refinance out of the 1st FHA loan?

Originally posted by @Rob Brautigam :

Yes, 1 year it is.

@Upen Patel 

To follow up on @Samuel Wynn 's question...is it possible to buy another property with another owner-occupied 5% down FHA loan after the 1 year? Or would you need to refinance out of the 1st FHA loan?

You can only have 1 FHA loan at any given time. So if you buy a property using FHA and want to buy an another one after 1 yrs, then you either have to sell the property or refi it away from FHA.

Upen Patel, Mortgage Banker

Federal NMLS# 1374243

Medium tfsb   fdic   eh   squareUpen Patel, The Federal Savings Bank | [email protected] | (571) 331‑5161 | http://thefederalsavingsbank.com/upenpatel | Lender # National Lender NMLS# 1374243

Originally posted by @Upen Patel :
Originally posted by @Rob Brautigam:

Yes, 1 year it is.

@Upen Patel 

You can only have 1 FHA loan at any given time. So if you buy a property using FHA and want to buy an another one after 1 yrs, then you either have to sell the property or refi it away from FHA.

Upen Patel, Mortgage Banker

Federal NMLS# 1374243

Awesome, I appreciate the quick reply. Refi it is!

@Upen Patel -- thanks for the extremely helpful answers! I'm looking at a triplex right now, and considering the possibility of living in one unit for a year in order to take out a FHA mortgage. Meanwhile, I'd spend that year renovating the building and upgrading tenants in order to facilitate a refi.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you