fha loan

7 Replies

With an FHA loan is there a certain amount of time you have to live in the home before you can rent it out?

Originally posted by @Samuel Wynn :

With an FHA loan is there a certain amount of time you have to live in the home before you can rent it out?

You have to owner occupy the property for at least 1 yr for a FHA loan.

I read a few of your comments and I tell you're very knowledgable. I'm trying to prepare myself for a 203k loan. Is it anywhere that you would recommend me finding comprehensive information about it?

Upen Patel

Yes, 1 year it is.

@Upen Patel  

To follow up on @Samuel Wynn 's question...is it possible to buy another property with another owner-occupied 5% down FHA loan after the 1 year? Or would you need to refinance out of the 1st FHA loan?

Originally posted by @Rob Brautigam :

Yes, 1 year it is.

@Upen Patel 

To follow up on @Samuel Wynn 's question...is it possible to buy another property with another owner-occupied 5% down FHA loan after the 1 year? Or would you need to refinance out of the 1st FHA loan?

You can only have 1 FHA loan at any given time. So if you buy a property using FHA and want to buy an another one after 1 yrs, then you either have to sell the property or refi it away from FHA.

Upen Patel, Mortgage Banker

Federal NMLS# 1374243

Originally posted by @Upen Patel :
Originally posted by @Rob Brautigam:

Yes, 1 year it is.

@Upen Patel 

You can only have 1 FHA loan at any given time. So if you buy a property using FHA and want to buy an another one after 1 yrs, then you either have to sell the property or refi it away from FHA.

Upen Patel, Mortgage Banker

Federal NMLS# 1374243

Awesome, I appreciate the quick reply. Refi it is!

@Upen Patel -- thanks for the extremely helpful answers! I'm looking at a triplex right now, and considering the possibility of living in one unit for a year in order to take out a FHA mortgage. Meanwhile, I'd spend that year renovating the building and upgrading tenants in order to facilitate a refi.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here