First time invetstor, single family home expense question

1 Reply

Hello all and thanks in advance. I've posted on another forum, not necessarily a forum for REI though and got mixed answers. I've done some research but also get mixed answers, so please set me straight.

I've researched a single family home, rental property in my town. It's currently being rented for $1125 by the landlord and admittedly he says rent should be closer to $1200, which is what the market bears he said and from what I've seen, would agree.

I've reviewed the following expenses. $56.25 (5% vacancy rate exp), $112.50(maintenance) $70.42 (ins.), $120 (taxes). Total expenses $359.17 or ~32% of rent. I didn't include utilities because they are charged to the renter.

From what I've read, the rule of thumb is between 45-50% expense of rent. What am I missing here? Am I underestimating vacancy (landlord has had 15 properties in this town for 25+ years and says his vacancy averages around 5% or less) or maintenance?

Hi @Drew T. ! Your expenses seem mostly reasonable, but I would suggest that vacancy is more a function of the landlord than the location. Just because an experienced landlord is seeing 5% doesn't mean every landlord can expect the same. I'd recommend you assume 10% vacancy.

Also, you seem to be missing management expense. Someone will have to deal with the tenant and their issues, either you or a property manager. Here in Atlanta management fees run 8% - 10% of the rent.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.