Insurance questions on SFH in Indianapolis

7 Replies

I'm closing on a $70,000 SFR next week, and I've got a few insurance related questions:

Is there a consensus between Actual Cash Value and Replacement Cost Value for a property valued in the $70,000 range? (The premium difference is about $150 annually).

The company I'm leaning towards defaults the deductible to $5,000. What do you/would you recommend for a SFR at this price point? Higher, lower, or is that about right?

I was initially planning to lower the deductible, but was advised that the deductible for wind/hail can’t be lowered below $5,000 (but all other covered occurrences can be lowered).

Any insight is appreciated!

@Ryan Yetter I have a great agent in Indy I use if you are interested. I'm sure she'll be happy to answer any of your questions. 

@Ryan Yetter

Contact @Derek Lacy . He can help you out with all of your questions and he is a memeber here on BP. 

Do NOT do replacement value or 5k deductible. All mine are 75k value, 1k deductible and 500k liability for 525/year in Indy. 

Ryan Yetter an investor friendly insurance broker is key. Derek Lacy is one of them and he is local.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you