Multifamily Chicago Help

6 Replies

Good morning everyone!

I'm currently attending the University of Michigan, working on a class project to buy a property, adding value, renting, and selling in the city of our choice. Upon graduation this spring, I am moving to Chicago for work, and believe I can really bring this project to life. 

In short, I'm looking for advice on resources to aid me in my property search. I've reached out to the city and a few locals to talk about paths of growth in the neighborhoods as well as what areas are in need of redevelopment. I'm really looking for 3-5 units. A property which offers 1st floor retail as well would be a terrific challenege that would allow my project to have even more impact. 

I'd love to hear all suggestions be it locations or where to search on the internet. 

Thank you! 

Any particular part of the city or burbs??  I can keep my eyes and ears open for you if you like.

Contact a Realtor and join a local real estate investment club.

Hay Max this sounds Like a fun Project! I live and invest in Chicago,I"m also a realtor. I would be more than willing to help you but I think you need to do a little more reseach as far as where and what type of investment. 

Who much do you have to invest?

R U looking for a value add,distressed,new construction or a turn key? 

What kind of area? High end low end average or up and coming?

Chicago is a very big city with plenty of oppertunity but you need to narrow it down.

Good luck

@Max Himelhoch Chicago is a very large area and where you can buy will vary greatly on your budget.  What price range are you looking in?

@max 

@Max HimelhochI would speak to some local brokers and property mgmt companies to get acclimated to the area. I'd be happy to send you some names - feel free to message me.  

Thanks to all for your help! I'll keep things simpler here and just reach out to each of you individually. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.