Wholesaling through Probate in Colorado

7 Replies

Hey everyone,

Our group is currently working on our acquisition of properties using wholesaling in a variety of ways, but one technique we are struggling to capitalize on in Colorado is through Probate leads. 

Other than sifting through the Notice to Creditors, working our due diligence to qualify these leads, we seem to be at a stand still. 

From our investing network outside the state, we understand that other States' court houses allow for "Researchers" to physically sift through the actual paperwork allowing our network of investors to find leads before the Notice to Creditors are printed in the paper.

What ways are Colorado REI acquiring Probate leads?

Probably by doing the research and aggressive marketing including online, referrals and offline DM, outbound TM and knocking.

@Megan Carpenter you can go to the court house and get copies of what ever information elated to a case that you want. Denver County publishes the probate cases every week and you can subscribe. The other counties you have to visit the court and sift through the records to find the leads. I believe there a number of services that aggregate these records and sell the lists. I think I have send some people post about in the market place here on BP. Otherwise Google is your friend.

Probate is very competitive. It's a numbers game so you need to be able to market hard (costs money). The only way I know to get ahead of the probate list people is to mine the obituaries. I know at least one wholesaler that has a VA doing this right here in Denver.

Probate varies by state. I am not a probate expert but your terminology does not match my knowledge of Colorado. You might want to do some learning for Colorado. Make a trip down to Denver's probate court and meet the people.

Thanks Bill, I'm a new real estate investor in Denver as well and am planning to go down to the courthouse this week. Your advice is very helpful. 

Originally posted by @Lia Martinez :

Thanks Bill, I'm a new real estate investor in Denver as well and am planning to go down to the courthouse this week. Your advice is very helpful. 

You want to ask them for "commercial research." There should be a guy there that will help you with it. It costs money for the service. Good luck!

@Matt M. Thanks! A lot of these nut n' boltparts of the process differ from location to location, so the Denver specific details help so much. 

@Lia Martinez to "mention" someone, type the @ symbol and the first three letters of their name. Below the reply box will appear the options that meet the criteria and you pick the person you want to "mention". If you do it right, their name appears highlighted in blue in your post. I only know because I had to figure it out the hard way myself.

@Bill S. Haha, thanks! That may have taken me a while to figure out!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here