Michigan winter question

5 Replies

I think that would be a mistake...working thru winter gets houses ready n rehabbed while buying is slow....and those properties are ready when people get their taxes for down payments and start buying in spring. Winter is the best time to get it done, contractors have to eat in winter too ya know.

Originally posted by @Tion Henley :

Do rehabbers in Michigan tend to slow business as the winter months approach? I could only imagine it would be difficult to renovate a home in the snow.

Do rehabbers in CALIFORNIA tend to slow business as the SURFING months approach?

We focus on interior work when the temps drop but I've found that's actally only painting is effected by low temps so you may have to put that off until spring. But other than that reno continues snow or not. In fact, I look for deals in the winter since there are fewer buyers. One thing I have noticed in Michigan is that there are fewer new listings during snowy months but that's the biggest difference. By the way, we are born and raised Californians who have become Michiganders who LOVE Michigan because the deals are so sweet! 

What about using hml during the winter? If I found a flip around thanksgiving with a 6 week rehab how concerned should I be that I'd be ready to sell in January? 

I realize that it's not like there aren't any buyers in the winter but I'd assume that time of year has to be the most likely time for holding costs to increase.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you