How to find the owner of the home

10 Replies

Hello Everyone,

I saw an abandoned home while visiting a friend. 2 weeks later i saw a ticket on the door with a fine saying they needed to clean up the property. I've tried searching for the owner's name and address but still no record. 

Any Ideas?

Thank You

Most counties in NY have a tax map, or parcel access map online (google it + your county).  You should be able to find the address on the tax map, and that'll give you owner info.   What county were you in?

public records are your key here.

First go to the property appraiser and find out the owners name.  Once you know their name, plug it into the clerk of courts/ register of deeds.  

This will give you a starting point to find out about the story of the property.  Does it have a mtg/deed of trust?  Is it in foreclosure? Divorce? Death certificate? Etc.

Also, there may be contact info or useful info located within some of the items.. Ex: in a foreclosure the bank Atty has to serve the owner of the property, the service processor has to do the skip trace in order to serve them and you can piggyback off their efforts by just looking where they served them.

Also, Google their name and you can find additional info on them.  Obituary, law suits, Facebook, etc.

Hope this helps

Thank you David Dey and Aaron Kushner .. The property is located in the Bronx. I took a picture of the ticket also. I will just go down to the office then and see what I can dig up!!

don't forget to check the tax bill. I once found a letter left in the garage went to the phone book and tracked the wife down through a relative. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you