Austin ADU Regulations

5 Replies

The Austin City Council voted Thursday to ease regulations for building garage apartments. I assume this will help investors in Austin, as the duplex market seems overinflated. Any thoughts or strategies from the BP community?  

Best thing to come out of The City of Austin for infill builders in years. A couple highlights; instead of an 850SF cap on ADU's, the limit will be 15% of FAR. Means you can go bigger on ADU's on most eligible lots. And the square footage limitation on the lot drops from 7000SF to 5750SF. This will allow for many more housing units close in.

@Jon Klaus My understanding from listening to the meeting was that there is an additional 1100 sf cap on the units. Awesome either way. I am going to repermit one I had underway to get the additional sf. I think it is a great idea because it will create larger units which are more family friendly. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you