Good collection agency / attorney in Cleveland area?

4 Replies

Could anyone here can recommend a collection agency or an attorney that specializes in collections.

I have an eviction settlement, that i can't collect on.

Thank you!

@Dmitri K.

How large is the judgment? A lot of my clients don't pursue second causes of action for money damages because the costs of the second hearing don't justify the amount at stake. This is further compounded because you need to know where the tenant works (to garnish wages) or banks (to garnish the bank account) in order to do so. We use a skip trace vendor that helps us track down where a debtor has moved, works, banks, etc but they can't always find enough information to make collection possible.

Feel free to email me with the details specific to your case for more information on your choices.

@C. 

@Timothy Murphy III - i think at this point it is not so much about getting the money, but mostly making things right. I don't think it's right to not pay rent, i don't think it's right to steal from the house, i don't think it's right to cause damages to the property. And if we (landlords) just accept these kinds of behaviors - we are going to end up with more and more tenants that just don't give a @#$%! I think by not pursuing these 2-d clauses and garnishments we reinforce the idea and someone can just do whatever and move on to the next property.

I would be content with not getting a penny, as long as i know that the person had to pay! Even if everything that gets' recovered goes to cover the attorney costs.

At the same time i would not want to pay an attorney upfront fee - as it completely negates his willingness to really try and get that money (in my opinion).

@Dmitri K. Yes I understand your thoughts here, but we all need to understand it's not a perfect world and the "right" doesn't always prevail. I just went through an eviction and besides lost rents, I sustained over 5k in damages.  I got the Unlawful Detainer judgment and now there's a civil action on record and they will eat the consequences in the future.  The MFU profits will be reduced by this abount and thus "making it right" becomes these losses reducting my taxes.  Moving on - - 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you