Berks and Lancaster county: good or bad rental markets??

1 Reply

hey guys I'm just getting started in rentals and was curious to know what the opinion is for you guys if it's worthwhile for me to focus on the cities of Lancaster and reading for rental units? I see lots of them for sale, run the numbers, and things look good on paper but that doesn't mean much. What's the demand for rentals in these 2 cities? Anybody know?? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to decipher between Reading Lancaster or philly as I'm central to all 3

Jon,

A lot of investors in Lancaster county will focus on the city because there are cheap properties to be had which look relatively good on paper. Many have had success there as well. When running your numbers though, just keep in mind that most of the houses are 100 years old. The only property I have in the city is over 100 years old and even though it has brand new copper plumbing and electrical throughout, it still ends up having far more problems than my units that are newer builds just by nature of its age. 

Other things to consider:  veeeery high taxes in the city. Also, remember that lower than median rents for the area are prone to bring more headaches, and increase the hassle factor of being a landlord.

Always do your due diligence and don't forget to include CapEx on these old homes! Best of luck to you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here