• Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Validate the 50% rule

Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorPosted Dec 23 2008, 16:29

It has been agressively stated here on BP that operating expenses average 50% of gross rents. I have posted many times that while that may be true with some properties, it is not accurate or appropriate to use this percentage on all properties (speaking of residential 1-4 units only).

I have stated that when you have gross rents of $400-$700 monthly, it will most likely average out to be in the ballpark of 50%, but as rents increase to amounts above $1000 per month, the ratio or percentage decreases due to a variety of factors (which will not be explained here).

The purpose of this post is to get some viable data from many individuals who have rental units with monthly rental rates in excess of $1,000 (per door) and have at least 3 years of financials. So, if you have property which fits this criteria, Please respond here with the following: (Take all the years you have owned the property(ies) and combine all the amounts listed below, then divide by the number of years to get an accurate annual average):

Gross rents
Actual annual operating expense figures (fixed expenses - taxes, insurance, PM, utilities, etc.)
operating expense reserves (items which do not occur regularly such as repairs, maintenance, vacancy, damage, advertising, legal, etc.) Please include what you have personally experienced with your properties only!
Then list your capital expense reserves (although this is not actually an operating expense, accounting wise, for avoidance of arguments sake, let's include it)
Finally, we can now arrive at your NOI, so post that as well.

Note: If you have multiple properties, combine all the figures as one and note how many properties (actual doors) the figures represent. Once we have had at least 100 doors represented by many posters, I will compile the numbers and see what operating expense ratio was averaged. If we get a rapid number of posts which quickly total more than 100 doors, we can move the figure up to 200 or more before I compile the numbers. The more data entered, the more accurate the average should be. Let's have some fun with this! :lol:

I will post updates here on the figures as we get enough to compile.

Loading replies...