Developing a team in Pittsburgh

10 Replies

I would like to start investing in the Pittsburgh area. I would be investing out of state. What is the best way to find a team that I trust? (Realtor, property manager, contractor). If anyone has any referrals that would be great too.

Do you know what geographic areas you want to be investing it? Are you looking for turnkeys or rehabs?  If you could provide some more detailed information, us Pittsburghers can probably point you in the right direction for what you're trying to accomplish :)

Hi Brian! Out of state investing can be tricky. If you get a chance, listen to the BP Podcast number 154 I believe. They are interviewing a California-based guy who invests in Massachusetts. It's a great episode. The biggest take away is you need a solid "boots on the ground" team like what you're looking for. If you need any assistance, I'm a Realtor from the Pittsburgh area and mainly focus north of the city. Best of luck!

Originally posted by @Helen Bollinger :

Do you know what geographic areas you want to be investing it? Are you looking for turnkeys or rehabs?  If you could provide some more detailed information, us Pittsburghers can probably point you in the right direction for what you're trying to accomplish :)

I am unfamiliar with the area. I am looking for B/C neighborhoods (3/2, 3/1, 2/2, 2/1's).

What are some good B/C areas that I could look into?

Originally posted by @Matthew Bonosky :

Hi Brian! Out of state investing can be tricky. If you get a chance, listen to the BP Podcast number 154 I believe. They are interviewing a California-based guy who invests in Massachusetts. It's a great episode. The biggest take away is you need a solid "boots on the ground" team like what you're looking for. If you need any assistance, I'm a Realtor from the Pittsburgh area and mainly focus north of the city. Best of luck!

Thanks for the Podcast info. How hard is it to find honest/trustworthy "boots on the ground?"

It depends! My advice would be to scope out a good contractor who you'd like to add to your business or try and partner with someone already doing all of it who needs you to handle the phone work

Hello @Brian Ewell !

I'm here in PGH and ready to invest in my area. My focus is Southeastern Pittsburgh/Western Westmoreland County. Properties I'm targeting in this area value between $20k-$65k and rent between $500 and $725. I'm looking for ROI in the 12-15% range or better. I'm a first-time investor but I've learned so much here on BP. So much I'm ready to plunge in. I'm willing to manage property, collect rents, and continue looking for great deals. If your looking to move some money around, I've got a few properties I'm looking to lock up. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

Originally posted by @Dominic Lucarelli :

Hello @Brian Ewell!

I'm here in PGH and ready to invest in my area. My focus is Southeastern Pittsburgh/Western Westmoreland County. Properties I'm targeting in this area value between $20k-$65k and rent between $500 and $725. I'm looking for ROI in the 12-15% range or better. I'm a first-time investor but I've learned so much here on BP. So much I'm ready to plunge in. I'm willing to manage property, collect rents, and continue looking for great deals. If your looking to move some money around, I've got a few properties I'm looking to lock up. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

These properties that you have between $20k-$65k. How much work is needed to get them "rent ready"?

I'm meeting one owner this Thursday to visit a property that's already renting. Assuming very little added cost.

I've got another I've ran through my numbers for a possible flip. Using very conservative numbers, could net an easy $20k. (ARV $110k, $40-50k in + purchase price + holding + transfer/purchase)

And a mixed use commercial property I really want in a heavy traffic area that I need to convince the owner that he's overpaid. (This one would be a fantastic value-add since his residential rents are under market, but I need to see the apartments first for repair costs.) 

All of these are within 20 minutes of my home.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you