Recommendations for community/local banks in Portland, Or

3 Replies

I'm wondering what local bank or community credit unions other RE investors are using in Portland Oregon.

I currently have all my personal and business accounts a large national bank (Wells Fargo).  I'm looking to for a relationship with a small local bank or credit union forr several reasons.

1. Keep more money in my community

2. Develop a more personal relationship with the the people I work with on a regular basis

WF will have a different business banker assigned to my company every year or less and it's very annoying to have so much money running through a bank and deal with people that treat you like a stranger or don't want to deposit a check because my customer left "LLC" off the back of my name.

I looked at Umpqua Bank as I've heard good things, but they currently have over 300 location on the west coast and look to be growing even faster.  I'm worried I will end up in the same situation.

So what are your favorites and why?

Thank you!

@Isaac Frost we have a ridiculous number of accounts with Umpqua and they've done a great job. 

We are currently getting a loan from Premier Community Bank out of Hillsboro and Tigard. They focus on local business accounts, have great customer service, good rates and understand that most real estate developers do not fit in a box. If you're looking for good loans on top of good banking, I suggest talking with Premier.  

I've been happy with both Umpqua and Advantis CU.  

Cliff Brady with Advantis is a very good commercial loan agent & Vanessa Rez (Umpqua) is great for the renos.  They're both local agents with a small team that is very responsive.  

Advantis is a bit too small maybe (they just have a handful of locations) so their services are a bit lacking when compared to Umpqua so that's something to also keep in mind when choosing a bank.  But I always know who I'm dealing with and they know me when I come in to the branch.  So that's nice.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you