Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Joy Mondala
  • San Marcos, CA
Votes |
Moving to Detroit! Should I get my RE License and/or a FT job??

Joy Mondala
  • San Marcos, CA
Posted Mar 3 2016, 18:21

So the time is almost upon us where I'll be moving from San Diego to Detroit! My fiance is a doctor there and it's definitely past time to shorten the distance between us, and of course I'm looking forward to this next step in building our lives together.

HERE'S THE RUB: I just recently became licensed in CA (it's been a plan of mine as I want to invest in more RE) and because 1- I need to sell my primary residence in lieu of moving to Detroit, and 2- my parents are looking to unload a few of their rental properties starting this April, so I may as well make some easy money being their listing agent.

As there are a lot of moving parts, it can seem a bit daunting: 

My tenants' leases will end in May so I can have time to clear everything out, move my things to Detroit, and get the house up to market.

I will have to find the best way to step away from my FT job here (as they don't operate in MI) and I've started researching jobs in Detroit**

**The main complication about the job hunt is: I want to find something that of course will provide a stable income as I acclimate to the new life in Detroit but I also want to have enough time carved out to start finding flips and rentals AS WELL AS facilitate the selling of my parents' rentals back in CA (which is one of the reasons I got licensed remember). 

Of course if I just make the leap to be a realtor FT in Detroit I'd have the time to go back and forth as needed to CA for the house sales as well as time to pursue my own RE endeavors in Detroit. But my concern is that it will take time to get the business up and going, I don't know the market all too well yet, and I don't have a comfortable reserve of cash to supplement what I'd be getting from a FT job while I get the RE business off the ground (that and we're trying to plan a wedding).

Given all of those moving parts, what would you say is the best strategy? I'm eager to hear your input, thanks.

Loading replies...