Considering Keller Williams

3 Replies

I'm considering applying at Keller Williams, I've heard from a bunch of agents that said KW is the best for new agents, in terms of education and support. I have been interested in REI for a while and dabbled in it but didn't have a ton of success. Wanting to get some experience as a agent and then branch out. What is the cost for a new agent KW? In terms of desk fees, what do you usually pay for advertising per month? What are upfront fees that a new agent pays for training. Lastly, anyone in the Tampa Bat area, how is the market? I've heard it's heating up again. Thank you all for your advice and help.

Start at KW. You get out what you put in. Do the BOLD program. Once you do well, find a cheaper brokerage if you aren't going to build a team. Call a local office and go in to ask them these questions. Each office is different(I think).

Monthly fees were low, when I was there. They took 30% of you commission until I capped at giving them $24k. If you have a mentor, which you should, they'll take a bit more. 

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now

Hi Justin. I highly recommend that you select a brokerage based on people not a brand. Brokerages vary tremendously from town to town and state to state based largely on the people in that office. KW has an awful lot to offer in terms of corporate programs but the people in the trenches with you are far more important than any company perk. Questions to consider: do you like and trust the broker? He/she is the one that can make or break you if you need help. Do you feel comfortable with the other agents? These are the first people you will reach out to for help and probably team up with, learn, and grow together. Does this agency offer you the help and support you actually need? There is no sense in joining a team that pushes cold calling to all of its agents if that is not something you want to do.

So bottom line, I humbly suggest focusing on the people first starting at the top. You need to like and trust the people you work with and ideally your skills compliment each other. From there figure out what you think you need as a new agent and who offers the best version of it. There is absolutely no harm in switching brokerages later on if needed. You'll find that many agents follow each other or one broker or another throughout their career and change companies several times. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you