Adjusting my w-4

2 Replies


I just started a new job and trying to adjust my W-4. In my previous employment I was claiming head of household. I am a home owner and pay more than 50% of the household expenses. My question is what line do I make this adjustment? I've read that it would be in line D (number of dependents) but just want to make sure. Also, would this still allow me to be "head of household" eligible come tax time?



Hi Mark-

I rather get more money on my paycheck throughout the year vs. getting a return at the end of the year. Nothing has changed, but when I filled out the W-4 at the new job I noticed that the state was 4 and federal was 1. To my knowledge it should be federal 4 and state 1 or am I wrong?

Guaranteed Rate
Guaranteed Rate is a top mortgage lender
Save $1,290 on your next home – no lender fee*
Get special perks like $1,290 in lender fee savings when you buy a second home with Guaranteed Rate.
Apply Now

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you