Is this triplex a good deal?

6 Replies

Address: Indianapolis, IN, 46201

Neighborhood sounds like a C (based off agent's opinion)

Asking price $59,900 (Seller Finance is an option – 5 years to pay off, considering 10% down payment)

Annual Taxes $1656

Unit 1: 2/1 rents for $450 (Pays on time – like clockwork – same day/same time) Tenants for 2 years

Unit 2: 2/1 rents for $500 (larger unit than unit 1) VACANT since Aug. 

Unit 3: 1/1 rents for $400 (Pays on time – like clockwork – same day/same time) Tenants for 2 years

Tenants pay all utilities and are currently month-to-month

Rent-o-meter comps are over $600/month for a 2/1.

Cosmetic repairs needed. Seller is fixing up the vacant unit

House built in 1911

No Garage

Not enough information. In my opinion I would stay away from anything below a B neighborhood when investing out of area. First of all there will be more vacancies and issues. Second, you may not even find a PM willing to work those areas for such a small $$. 

I would rather by a SFH in a B area personally

Best of luck!!

At asking price, the rent to value is good but as @Justin R. mentioned, if you're investing out of state, it may be best to buy in a B neighborhood because you may have problems with vandalism or alot of vacancies in a C or D neighborhood. I know the low purchase price is tempting but there's a reason why it's low. If you do proceed with this deal, do alot of due diligence and I would go for the seller finance deal with the low down and see how you like it. 

2/1 rents asking for $500, rent-o-meter comps are over $600. BUT VACANT since Aug, what else do you need to know? 

46201 is a hit and miss zip code.  How close to Emerson St is it?

The cash flow is obviously good but there are two things to worry about.

1) at that rent range you may have a headache with not so good renters.  They will be very hit and miss especially since you are in another state (there are a LOT of evictions in that zip code I can tell you from personal experience).

2) what is the ARV on this one? A lot of houses in 46201 have

I would only buy this one if it was within 2 blocks of Emerson or if the ARV was at least 80k.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.