Leveraging a HELOC

3 Replies

I am thinking about getting a HELOC on my current SFR in Orange County, CA to purchase multifamily properties. I currently have a clean 500 cash flow on it, I manage the property myself. Im looking to pull out enough to put a 20% down on the multifamily. From what I see my current cash flow will take care of the payments on the HELOC and ill be able to purchase my multifamily as well. I dont have any other source of funding other than this.

What are your guys thoughts on this? Good move on investing and moving up? thanks!

I like using HELOCs since you're essentially recycling money that's tied up in the house doing nothing otherwise.  And since you can pay it down then pull cash out again you can manage your interest costs and still have a safety net (versus paying down a regular mortgage).

With any debt / financial decisions just consider your worst case scenarios (vacancy, emergency repairs, etc) and make sure you've got reserves.

@Micki M. Thank you so much for your response! The o lyrics thing that concerns me is the vacancy, which also the reason I want to go multifamily where my vacancy rate would be less than 100% (like my SFR). In any case my reserves should cover that. Thanks again for your respond. How's Denver market anyway as far as buy and hold? I went to Aspen to snow board a couple years ago and loved it.!

HELOC is a great idea! It is pretty much a credit card using the equity of your home. I have talked to many investors using HELOC to purchase more cash flowing assets.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.