BIG Screw Up!

2 Replies

Before I go and do something else stupid I wanted to put it out to the group and see if anyone had a creative idea. I recently purchased a rental property using HML and then refinanced with a conventional lender about a month ago. I work for a Big 4 audit/consulting firm with strict independence rules. I failed to check out the conventional lender "before" getting the loan. I honestly thought they were a small local lender and it would be fine. Big mistake. They are restricted and looks like I need to refinance....again!

Since it was literally just a month ago is there anything I can try to salvage?  Title insurance / appraisal / etc to keep my closing costs down?

I was trying to think if there was something I could do with my LLC (since there is separation there). Or maybe it's time to bite the bullet and refinance all my properties (I have three now and buying a fourth) into a portfolio loan. Thoughts?

@Tony Castronovo Sorry to hear about the conflict of interest. I am well aware of what you are talking about. Used to be a consultant for PwC.

Unfortunately, you are out of luck. The refi is a new loan and nothing can be saved.

Why do you think you need to go to a portfolio loan? Fannie/Freddie allow you to have up to 10 financed properties.

Upen Patel, Lender in (#National Lender NMLS 1374243)
(571) 331-5161

With 5 properties including my primary residence I am pushing the personal DTI limits. So I would eventually need to move my properties into a portfolio loan or start to consider other options such as low doc loans (asset based) or private money. I figured if I needed to refi this one property again then maybe it makes sense to refi them all under a portfolio (or commercial) loan to free up my personal DTI. Otherwise I am just throwing away closing costs.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.