SFR vs. Multi Unit

4 Replies

Hi BP!

I am finally ready to purchase property and decided to focus on the purchasing in the western suburbs of Detroit, MI. I reside in Los Angeles area and would be hiring a management company to handle my properties.  I originally thought I about multi unit properties, but I was thinking about the differences in responsibility and upkeep of the property.

I like the economy of scales when looking at multi unit, but then I thought about snow removal and the responsibility/liability for doing it on a multi unit where in a SFR the tenant would be responsible for their own snow removal. That would be an added cost and liability. Are there any other things that I need to consider when dealing with multi unit vs. SFR?

Should this be something that I should be concerned with?

Originally posted by @Chris T. :

@Fernando Domingo

Expenses in MF tend to be much higher than SFH. However, one cannot scale up as fast investing in SFH.

If you haven't yet, check out some of these podcasts. They're a wealth of information.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/bp-podcas...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/12/1...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/03/0...

Thanks Chris,

That is something that I am considering. I think I may start with SFR and move into MF. I'm thinking that starting small since I am starting out of state would satisfy the conservative side.

Just to ask @Fernando Domingo - As a long distance investor -Why Detroit ? Have you been there ?Walked the neighborhoods you want to buy in ?

There are so many threads and blogs warning out of state investors of the pitfalls of investing in Detroit. Be very cautious.

Originally posted by @Saul L. :

Just to ask @Fernando Domingo - As a long distance investor -Why Detroit ? Have you been there ?Walked the neighborhoods you want to buy in ?

There are so many threads and blogs warning out of state investors of the pitfalls of investing in Detroit. Be very cautious.

Hi Saul,

I have not actually walked the neighborhoods recently.  That being said, I am originally from MI and have family in the area.  It has been a long time since I have lived there, but I feel like I have a basic idea of the area.  I will be in the area for the holidays when I will meet with a realtor or 2 to get a more in depth look at the neighborhoods in cities I am looking to invest in. 

None of my family invests in real estate, but it is comforting to know that if there are any major issues I have them there to at least do a drive by and check on things occasionally.  Also, for the funds that I am comfortable investing the area makes sense and will not be such a blow to the funds if anything goes wrong.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.