Hey BP community.
We currently own a duplex purchased using a HELOC for the 20% down,closing costs ($20,200) and a private money lender for the remaining 60k @ 12%. I"m currently in the process of the BRRR method and looking to refinance shortly. 2 questions:
1. How long do you have to wait before you can refinance with a bank? 1 year?
2. I have an option to switch my variable 2.24% interest HELOC rate to a FIXED rate of 3.44% (10 year) or 3.74% (15 yr). I currently only pay 100$/month to this and save the rest of the cash flow for vacancy, cap ex, etc.
** I'm hoping the refinance has the equity to do a cash out refi but I'm looking to settle the variable rate currently in the meantime.....
Judging from my conversations with lenders, there is no hard and fast rule for the "seasoning period" for refinance. I heard an investor on one of the many podcasts I listen to (can't remember which one) said that he went from bank to bank until he found one that would refi shortly (either immediately or within a couple of months). My lender requires six months.
If there's a window of time that is closing on the option to switch to fixed interest, I think I would switch it. Otherwise ride the 2.24% as long as you can. My $.02
Thx @Brett Weaver
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing