Finding Home owners

4 Replies

I have come across several properties that are badly in need of some work, but could otherwise be very nice properties. I know that you can find the owners on auditors web sites, but in the event that you can't or that its a finance company, how do you find the owners? and when you do find them, what is the best way to approach them? I just don't want to offend anyone or come off as pushy if I send them a letter or call them up and say..."Hey your property looks like it needs some help, would you be willing to sell it?" :protest: that seems like it would be rude to me. any thoughts?

Originally posted by "jenice54":
I have come across several properties that are badly in need of some work, but could otherwise be very nice properties. I know that you can find the owners on auditors web sites, but in the event that you can't or that its a finance company, how do you find the owners? and when you do find them, what is the best way to approach them? I just don't want to offend anyone or come off as pushy if I send them a letter or call them up and say..."Hey your property looks like it needs some help, would you be willing to sell it?" :protest: that seems like it would be rude to me. any thoughts?

here in MD it's on the state dept. of assessments and taxation website. even DC has one to look up the owners. i'd look up the owners and send them a letter or a postcard. right now i'm slowly building a list the same way. i have around 20 properties locally that i've noticed that are in various stages of disrepair.

Try going to your tax office, usually in the same area as your courthouse or register of deeds. I just done this today and they were very friendly (not ROD but the tax office was) and gave me a print out with owner name, address, assessed value, etc...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you