Newbies: Eager to learn or Entitled?

Newbies: Eager to learn or Entitled?

Shiloh LundahlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I know that BiggerPockets looks down on guru education programs and seminars that cost thousands of dollars to teach people what they can learn for free on this website. However, I didn't find BiggerPockets until after I was half way through the expensive one-year education and coaching program.  One thing my coach told me over and over again was to find investors to partner up with because it didn't matter how much money I personally had to invest, I would eventually run out if I only used my own money.

So, over the past few months to a year, I have reached out to several people who are newbies to real estate investing who are looking for a mentor to teach them how to flip houses for profit. I explain to them that I can show them from start to finish a system to learn how to find, fund, rehab, and sell houses for a profit in Arizona. I show them how they will gain experience, credibility, and earn money on the money they invest. But when I tell them that the profit they would make would be 10% APR on their money while it is invested, they become disinterested because they were hoping to make more on their deal.

When I see a newbie who wants to partner up and learn how to flip a house for profit and expects to make more on a first deal I think to myself, " Let me get this straight, I spent 75k on a real estate education program which I will never get back and which gave me education but didn't supply me with experience or credibility (having done a profitable deal) and I am offering this to you, plus you get your money back, and you are unsatisfied because it isn't as much as you wanted it to be?"  Hummm... I don't know of any education program, college, or institution, that you pay to go to that will teach you a skill to earn lots of money that will then give you your money back plus interest at the end of it.

Is there something wrong with my thinking, that someone would be glad to find a mentor to hold their hand through the whole process, and show them a detailed system of how to make money flipping a house, where they would gain experience, credibility, and money and that they should be pleased with that? Or is it that many newbies read posts on success stories of first flips where people made 30 or 40 grand on their first flip and they believe that they should be able to do that also without doing it all on their own?

Is it just me, or does it seem some newbies feel entitlement towards earning half of the profits when they come in with a quarter or less of the money for the deal and have no experience?

I would appreciate any thoughts. And don't be shy to correct my thinking.

11Reply
294 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2011 · 471 posts · 296 votes
9y

@Shiloh Lundahl No offense Shiloh, but it sounds like you were the sucker that paid $75k on REI education (when you could've gotten it for free on BP or WORKING for a mentor) and need to persuade inexperienced newbies to partner with you to be successful!

They're not being "Entitled", they're being wise!

I wouldn't fall for your spiel either! ;)

What you may want to consider doing is just finding good deals and persuading SEASONED investors to partner with you.

If you have the experience and credibility, they will partner with you...simple!

Good luck warrior...anytime you can learn something new you're on the right track! ;)

See this reply in the discussion

106 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • William BrownPro Member
    Wholesaler · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 276 posts · 181 votes
    9y

    @Anthony Gayden

    You are absolutely right. I sometimes forget that not everyone wants to run a billion dollar business and what they have works perfectly for them. My apologies, and I wish you the best in your continuing endeavors!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    I agree with your sentiments.  I am as new as they come.  I lost on my one and only flip.  To have someone to teach and guide them through every step is very "old school" and I would truly appreciate something like that.  I am going to be buying and selling contracts on the cheap just to build a network and learn the business.  I am lucky enough to be in a position to afford to do something like this. 

    A wise man once told me that 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing. 

  • Investor · Clatskanie, OR · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 233 votes
    9y

    Yes, entitlement zombies are many. I will only help someone if they have the cash. I tell them Step 1) donate television to Good Will to free up your time. Step 2) Work overtime or 2 jobs until you have 30K for a down and some shine money. 

    I never mention Step 3 because it usually ends there. I follow up in a month to see how far they get. They usually complain about how broke they are as they sip on a 4.00 flavored coffee. 

    Funny, but sad too.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    I had to stop reading after "I spent 75k on a guru program"......
  • Poughkeepsie, NY · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    I'm new and it seems fair I'm in New York and I would be down. The experience alone is worth it
  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    I'm new to BP and new to REI as my sole source of income (yikes!). I've finally decided to focus on my "passion" and create a business out of it. While it's a little overwhelming at times, I couldn't be more excited. I still haven't closed my first official deal as a true REI, but I'm chipping away at it every day. I go to sleep reading books and online info, I wake up, read, network and grind.

    I've found BP to be an incredibly valuable resource for both information and networking (mostly for listings and opportunities). As a (somewhat) noob in the REI game, it would be extremely helpful to have a mentor, but I don't feel comfortable approaching a stranger and asking for that type of relationship (mentorship). Primarily because a mentor is someone you have a relationship with that's built on a foundation of trust. It's hard to enter into a relationship like that where large amounts of money and valuable information is involved unless you know the person or at least their reputation from both sides (mentor and mentee).

    I just read a loosely related thread here that discusses both sides of the fence. The OP was venting about constantly being approached by noobs asking where to fish and many BP'ers chimed in supported and opposing the viewpoint of being helpful to noobs. It's an interesting read if you have some time. 

    My takeaway from this thread as well as the above linked thread is that there are always going to be people who want the magic bullet, the shortcuts and they want it without having to pay their dues. These people are mostly takers and usually don't get very far, although there are definitely exceptions.

    So the questions I have for all of you experienced REIs are, what advice do you have for those of us whose intentions are genuine, are willing to put in the work and are looking for some guidance? What's the best way for us to find those of you who are willing to mentor us? And what are your expectations from a mentee? After all, communication is king.

    Sorry in advance for any thread hijacking. I thought this was a relevant inquiry.

  • Monmouth , NJ · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Thanks for all the posts , I'm also so new I have no deals. I just like reading all of the vast knowledge on here . Everyone with experience that posts , I already owe you a debt, so you can be certain I am in no position for asking right now. That being said , when I do get legs under me , I will have something to bring to the table before I speak. Thanks everyone !
  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    A lot has happened on this post while I was away. I had the opportunity to spend the day with my son deep sea fishing off of Santa Monica, then we drove up to San Francisco to visit a friend, and when I returned to the post there were a ton of comments.

    I hoped that this post would get a good discussion going but I didn't expect It to get this many responses. At the beginning of this post I wanted to reply to everyone who had commented so that they knew that I appreciated their comments and feedback. I don't think I will be able to keep up with every comment. Just know they are appreciated.

    Although this post focuses on how some new investors show entitlement by wanting to share in the profits without bringing much to the table, many people who have posted have focused on the comment that I made about spending 75k on a real estate education program. That seems funny to me because it was more of a side note than a headliner. I wonder If I had said that I made 75k on a flip if I would have gotten as much of a negative response. I wonder what all of that emotion is about?  I don't feel bad about the money that I spent. I don't feel that I was taken advantage of. I enjoyed the experience and I definitely see how it elevated my goals in a short period of time. I went from having access to around 220k in available credit, having 2 businesses, 1 recently acquired commercial building, 1 rental, and doing 3 flips for a total profit of 17k in one year to creating cash flow with the building, owning 28 doors between 2 states, doing one seller finance deal, operating 6 businesses, building a business system, creating access to 750k in available credit, and flipping 6 properties for a profit of 95k in a year as a part time job. And I did most of this over the phone because I was busy  moving my family to California last July so my daughter could do acting.

    I hope no one sees this in any way as bragging or flaunting. Many people share success stories on these forums. If it wasn't for the success that we are having with real estate I couldn't have moved my family to California because it is freaking expensive. But this was my "why" for doing real estate - to have the ability to choose how I want my lifetime be. We feel that we have been really blessed and are grateful for those blessings. The reason I am going into this in detail is because I would rather be done with the comments about spending 75k on real estate education. The purpose of that original comment was to share that I didn't expect to get something (like education from successful real estate professionals) for free. I expected to bring something to the table - 75k in my case. I used this as an example to point out that having a new investor come with money to partner up on a deal where they would get to see a successful flipping system, make contacts, gain experience and credibility, and get their invested money back with 10% APR interest would be a better deal then I got when I started. But everyone has their own opinions. This is just mine and if I have offended anyone, it wasn't not intentional. I just wanted to see the option of others to see if they have experienced some new investors being entitled to large profits without bringing much to the table.

    Again, your comments are welcome.

  • Northeast, WI · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    Shiloh Lundahl the reason $75k stood out to me in your original post (and verified in your most recent reply) was because it made it sound like you were actually being the entitled one. It sounds like you believe that having $75k worth of real estate education entitles you to have aspiring investors wanting to invest with you (if you don't think that then reread your posts- your original post specifically mentions the cost of your education as an indication of your success as an investor). There are investors who have never spent any money on real estate education and are far more successful than you or I will probably ever be. You could spend $0, $75k, $200k or any amount in between on education and still have lost all your money or have a successful RE business. There are far more factors involved. A $75k education doesn't automatically make you $75k better as an investor than those new guys you were dealing with. They could have learned the same information from reading and studying on their own. My point is that I don't think there is necessarily a connection between the amount you spend on education and how successful you are. Let your successes speak for you and not the dollar amount you spent on education.
  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I would love to hear from some experienced  investors to see their take on the discussion.

    @Brandon Turner

    @Ben Leybovich

    @David Gudmundsen

    @Bob E. 

    @Devin Elder

    @Sterling White

    @Mindy Jensen

  • Real Estate Broker · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2016 · 236 posts · 126 votes
    9y

    I've just never understood why anybody would pay to be mentored.

    I could pay a few thousand dollars OR....maybe....just maybe.... I could go down to an RE networking event, read a book, cold call an investor, start a blog, or just lurk BP.

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Shiloh Lundahl  We spent 25k on Eddie Speeds program.  It was worth every penny.  I see all the anti guru posts saying you can get everything for free on sites like BP but three years ago there was very little on notes on BP.

    The reasons we were able to make back our education investment are several:

    • We had the money to pay for both the education and then buy some notes.
    • We made sure there was a reasonable opportunity in the market. We caught the tail end of the NPN market but there were still reasonable priced NPN's in the market. I see people pitching NPN programs now and think that the market got overpriced 2 years ago, not where I would start today.
    • Not only did we have the money to invest but we took action and bought some notes.
    • We used the education and the weekly calls.  Sounds basic but I dialed in for 4 hours of calls a week and listened to the problems other people had and the recommended solutions.  The mentor program allowed us to lean from other peoples mistakes as well as our own.
    • We vetted our deals- even those pitched by or through our mentor.  they run a hedge fund and I get the impression that some of the deals they pick are scratch and dent inventory left over from their fund- trust but verify.  That sid we have bought several very good deals through them.
    • When the market changed we adjusted our tactics, instead of buying NPNs we started buying REO / wholesale deals and writing notes- using the education and mentor program in a new way. Again the presented by our mentor that were invaluable. Their formula for selling owner financed property increased the sale price on one property by 30k, that was one deal. Another deal, one of our early NPN's returned 38% on the cash left in the deal when we owner financed it to another investor.

    Some other benefits of the program we signed up for:   We started.  Half the battle of reaching your goal is to start .  Having someone that could walk us through the deals and answer questions gave us the confidence to START.  if we had not done the mentorship program I am convinced we probably never would have started, that if we had started we would have bought bad deals off FCI or some other Web Site and lost more then the cost of the mentorship program.

  • Sarasota, FL · Member since 2014 · 151 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    Everyone has their take (good/bad) on mentoring and/or coaching. @Shiloh Lundahl has shared his experience on how he got to where he is today. He is not pushing a program or a specific guru. I appreciate when those with REI experience share their background on how they got to where they are today.

    Shiloh then offers a means for people to get some real-time and hands-on experience for what equates to a 10% deposit, that will be fully refunded with interest (that's better than free). He just brings another method to the REI arena where you can gain experience and make contacts, and potentially springboard your own REI endeavor. Some say, "I can go elsewhere and make a better return on my money" and then that better return disappears with your money.

  • Investor · Washougal, WA · Member since 2016 · 86 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    WOW! I read every comment and it took a while.  I understand where you are coming from @Shiloh Lundahl.  Great comments @Bob E. and @Joe Splitrock @Tim S.  I have been a real estate investor for 20 years.  Not as successful as some but let's say I am comfortable where I am at.  The point that people are missing, is to be successful in real estate it takes TIME and MONEY.  The better you get the more efficient you become at using other peoples TIME and MONEY.  My first introduction to real estate was a Carleton Sheets infomercial for $100 course.  I was hungry and read the book from cover to cover and got to the point where I could teach it.  I have taken a few other classes nowhere near the 75K one for $500 and a few books.  The point being is whether you watch and listen to a free podcast or attend a 75K seminar, your "eductaion" will either cost you time or money.  When I went to the $500 3 day class, I was hoping to get new information and take my knowledge to the next step.  I found that I knew 90% of what they were talking about and wasn't going to pay the $50K for the "next step" week training.  However, I was shocked to see several dozen people sign up that had no experience whatsoever in real estate.  Some that never should have been signing up (company helped them apply for credit cards so they could charge the class) to successful business owners wanting to make a career change.  During my 3 days, I was watching these people listen with dreams of making big bucks in real estate but knew few would ever take the first step.   I talked a lot with a successful business owner that sat next to me and followed up with him for a couple months after the 3 day.  He went to the next stage and the next and I think was up to $75K.   I haven't caught up with him but wonder if he ever purchased anything.  I took the 50K and bought a duplex.  I realized a few things.  I know more than I realize but it took me 20 years to gain the knowledge.  A lot of people don't have or don't want to put in the time to gain that knowledge.  The alternative is to put in the money and either learn the hard way or find a coach/mentor.  I believe their is no substitution for doing.  The more deals you do and even look at the more knowledge you gain.  @Shiloh Lundahl is offering a great deal for someone that wants to learn and doesn't want to take 20 years or have the $75K.  I'm not saying it takes 20 years but if you don't have someone who has the experience and knowledge to give you the cliff note version it will take longer.  The problem is, if you don't put in any of your "TIME" or "MONEY"  initially, you are likely to have no commitment.  It's because he sold his multi family that he held for 5 years, it's because I took the time to read cover to cover and look in the paper(at the time) and on-line and research my market, so i know a good deal, that I am successful.

    @Shiloh Lundahl  Not to question your methods because I am a buy and holder and not a flipper.  A few things jumped out at me.  Arizona is not a depressed market  my guess is the average home is $250K+  at this price point $95K in 6 deals is only $15K a deal.  Congrats on the $95K but that seems like a pretty tight margin with little room for error with commission and repairs and liability.  Risk/Reward?  You have to be sure you know your numbers.  When I was at the 3 day training I could see some misrepresentation of the real estate market and I wanted to share my knowledge with a few people sitting around me so I can understand your desire to save someone the $75K and learn from you.  But I think this is 2 different things.  If you truly want to grow your business, and to find someone that might have the commitment level to stick with you, you should attend a local investor meet up.  They are also more likely to have the resources for long term growth.  If you have a strong desire to share your knowledge, rather than have a newbie try to invest money offer an educational internship.  Don't charge any money but have them learn your process and what you go through.  Have them stuff and stamp and send out the letters.  Have them listen/sit in on your negotiations.  Have them check your job sites and subs.  If they don't have "MONEY" let them put in the "TIME".  Free you up for research and deal generation.  They can still have a day job and see the process succeed.  Once they save up a little and understand what a good deal is they can invest in a project.  You only need 1 or 2 people and think you will find.  A win win for everyone.             

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    @Shiloh Lundahl , I am happy to make 10% on my money - in fact this is the exact amount I make on my private loans. However, I lend only to people that I know, and only on sure-bet deals that have as close to 0% risk as you can possibly get.*

    If you're looking for private money, that's a whatever-you-can-get rate. Private money is based on previous relationships. If you're looking for hard money loans, those rates are significantly higher. 12-15% and 2-6 points.

    I trade return for security. I'd much rather have my safe 10% than a risky 15%.

    But I've got experience. These newbies don't, and they've been fed a line of garbage about making BIG PROFITS. It isn't sexy to offer a 10% return when they've been promised 40-50-60% returns.

    How many deals have you done? You say you're reaching out to newbies and offering help in exchange for money. How do they know you will pay them back? Are you well-known in your area? What are you telling them that will give them confidence in your abilities to return their investment?

    I don't think your thought process is all wrong, but I think you will encounter way more lazy people that people willing to work. You will encounter way more people who want you to show them how to do everything, than people who are happy to pitch in and help. 

    (*If you are reading this, please do not send me a note asking for a loan. This is not a solicitation or an offer of funding. I explicitly state that I only lend to people I know. This isn't a ploy to get past the forum rules.)

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    This post reminds me of a point Daniel Kahneman makes in Thinking Fast and Slow (great book by the way) called "Entrepreneurial Optimism." Basically, everyone, and especially newbie entrepreneurs are overly optimistic, often blindingly so. They think it will be easier, take less time, make more money and be less risky than it actually will be. The less reputable gurus take advantage of this fact by selling delusions of grandeur. 

    When someone offers to show somebody how to do real estate investment, with realistic expectations, it sort of acts like a bucket of cold water on that optimism. And there's probably a bit of entitlement in there too.

  • Investor · Avilla, IN · Member since 2013 · 796 posts · 769 votes
    9y
    I have 64 units that acquired with far less than $75k total.... I could leverage $75k into $5m in purchases...or more. Without partnering. My biggest problems with gurus and newbies alike is that they over complicate most things in real estate. There are no secrets. What I do doesn't make me special or unique.
  • Real Estate Investor · Milford, NE · Member since 2011 · 201 posts · 140 votes
    9y

    Lots of really smart people on here that seemingly have made little or no mistakes in their lives to come down on you for paying 75k.   

         If you learned something, great...it doesn't take long to make 75 k off of one idea if your astute. If you didn't and it was a failure, that's good too because you have learned something..(albeit the hard way..).  I like to remind myself that if something doesn't kill me it will only make me stronger in the end. 

          Years from now when you are ready to retire on a huge pile of money, that 75k will be a distant memory:)   

        It seems to me if you work at this business hard and long enough, you're going to lose some money along the way....just don't make it a habit.:)  

          Keep doing what you're doing if its working....just make small corections as you go to fine tune your program for you. Get good at spotting time wasters in your life....and avoiding them....at least until beer thirty..:)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2012 · 38 posts · 19 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Bevla Reeves:

    @Shiloh Lundahl ...didn't feel any condescension with your last comment at all! ;)

    ...I worked my *** off for my mentors so the exchange was fair!

    ...with the successes you've had you shouldn't have trouble raising capital from seasoned investors.  I think trying to get it from newbies is going to waste your time.

    When you have an awesome deal post it on BP, there're lots of PLMs on the site.

    I wish you continued success and look forward to reading more posts from your adventures! ;)

     I think what Shiloh is looking for is to expand by getting cash contributed towards downpayments and rehab budgets, which would require borrowing at ratios in excess of 100% LTC.  It's possible from private lenders, but far from easy.    

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Thanks eveybody for your comments. @Jim Costa, the 95k was my portion of the profits. The total made among the 6 properties was around 190k and it was split with my buddy and parner, @Jason Moss. 

    @Mindy Jensen, great questions. These are the questions that I thought would come up earlier in the thread. I have done over 20 over the past 2 years. However, my partner has done around 50 of all types of deals over the past 10-15 years.

    How will the investors know that they will get their money back? We always keep reserves for unforeseen events and we buy properties that have multiple exit strategies. The investors get promissory notes drafted by an attorney and noterized. They also get a deed of trust on the property to secure their position in the property.

    I have a good reputation in my area as a professional and I am building a good reputation as a businessman. I have several positive reviews online and I had a 2-year government appointed position on the Social Work Credentialing Committee of the Board of Behavioral Health Examiners for the state of Arizona. You can also contact former investors or hard money lenders that have funded some of our deals.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2012 · 38 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    I think what @Shiloh Lundahl is offering is an incredibly valuable opportunity to a select few. 

     Arizona is an extremely competitive market.  When I call on the rare wholesale email  that actually makes sense (1 in 30 or worse?), any decent deals are gobbled up within an hour.  In my opinion, most new flippers here are quite likely to LOSE money on their first deal.  You can forget a $30k paycheck for your first flip around here.  Expected profit on most cosmetic-level flips is very tight unless you're sourcing directly from distressed sellers via direct marketing.  Even if you are, your distressed seller already got mailings from 10 other wholesellers.  There are too many flippers and too few houses for newbies to have a chance here.  

    Shiloh's deal is fair because:

    1. The education is incredibly valuable.  

    2. Shiloh is sourcing the deal.  This is everything when deals are hard to come by.  

    3. You're getting 10% return even if the deal doesn't make money - much lower financial risk that a standard flip.  

    4. Shiloh is paying 1/2 of down payment and rehab so he has skin in the game and you can get in with less money.  

    - I think the $75k for RE classes is a major distraction from the actual conversation and off putting a lot readers.  I don't think Shiloh is claiming that the $75k classes gives him any credibility - doing deals and making money does.  

    - A lot of the negative response has to do with Shiloh not selling well enough the benefits to the student/partner.   The message here needs to be better crafted.  People read quickly and move on.   

    - Another reason new investors aren't interested is that they don't have a realistic concept of how difficult it is to learn successfully flip in this market and how compressed profit margins are.  If they knew how hard it is to compete, they would gladly welcome a deal like this.  

    - An alternative structure might be to have the student/partner put up 100% of the downpayment + rehab instead of putting in half.  Then student/partner gets 50% net profit.  People may be more attracted to this structure.  You pay out more, but you can scale out to as many deals as you can find.  

    Shiloh - I will be interested to hear your experiences with this.  From these responses, I suspect that it will be difficult to find driven partners who have both the foresight and the cash to bite on this.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    @Mindy Jensen, I have a contract to purchase a really tall metal structure in the middle of Paris - All I need is a small 10% loan!

    (I just wanted to share something that folks can smile about)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2012 · 38 posts · 19 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Shiloh Lundahl:

    Thanks eveybody for your comments. @Jim Costa, the 95k was my portion of the profits. The total made among the 6 properties was around 190k and it was split with my buddy and parner, @Jason Moss. 

    @Mindy Jensen, great questions. These are the questions that I thought would come up earlier in the thread. I have done over 20 over the past 2 years. However, my partner has done around 50 of all types of deals over the past 10-15 years.

    How will the investors know that they will get their money back? We always keep reserves for unforeseen events and we buy properties that have multiple exit strategies. The investors get promissory notes drafted by an attorney and noterized. They also get a deed of trust on the property to secure their position in the property.

    I have a good reputation in my area as a professional and I am building a good reputation as a businessman. I have several positive reviews online and I had a 2-year government appointed position on the Social Work Credentialing Committee of the Board of Behavioral Health Examiners for the state of Arizona. You can also contact former investors or hard money lenders that have funded some of our deals.

    Shiloh - If this had been your original post, I imagine you would have had an entirely different response.  Good luck!

  • Investor · Lodi, NJ · Member since 2013 · 487 posts · 179 votes
    9y

    @Shiloh Lundahl

    You've received some great feedback here... I would add:

    1) Mindset: People new to real estate often still have co-workers who don't invest around them and therefore struggle to develop the investor mindset which is critical to taking steps forward.

    2) Distrust: As stated here, there are so many different angles, approaches, and money lost trying to pick the right one. So, new people always proceed with caution which can be justified.

    3) Managing Expectations: You mentioned its not that you're upset, but they aren't meeting your expectations. Try throwing away your expectations and just working on your system. If your system works, at some point you'll reap the rewards. Not to say it doesn't now, but sometimes your expectations can affect your mindset and draw you of course.

    4) Keep growing and building: Be patient, keep learning , and expanding. Sounds like you're on the right track.

    Best wishes my man and keep it up!

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Thanks again for all of your comments. I especially appreciated @Jake Saliba chiming into the conversation.  I had the the opportunity to meet up with Jake a couple of months ago at a BBQ house in Tempe. Not the best food choice to meet up and network with someone for the first time. In fact, as I squeezed a lemon slice into my water the lemon was slippery on my barbecue hands and it shot out of my hands and went across the table. Jake was much more civilized in his way of eating. I appreciate that he was able to look past all of that and still put in a good word for me on the forum.

    Jake and I sat down to talk about his flips that he was doing and that I was starting to look for investors. He and @Jim Costa are right, Arizona is not a depressed market anymore and it isn't as easy to find deals as it has been over the past 6 years. The margins that we look for are 20k for my partner and I to split. That doesn't leave a lot of room to share with more investors. So rather than partner with experienced investors (who would rightly want more of the deal), I thought that I would partner with newer investors who could participate in the flipping process and could learn how to do it profitably and part of their return would be the education and experience that they gained in addition to making some money and having a win on their first deal.

    I did talk to Jake about two other options that he mentioned where someone could come into a deal with us and learn how the whole process works and we would split the profits 50/50. But they would have to put up the whole amount of funds for the deal. The other option was to just do a straight year-long loan at 10% to my company. They would get a promissory note and we would have use of the funds for the different rehabs we are doing.  The investor would get monthly cash flow (interest only payments) until the year term was over and then they would get their principle back. I don't recall if I also talked with Jake about how we are also starting to write second position performing notes at 11-12% to provide monthly cash flow to note buyers.

    I didn't really mention in detail these other options before on this post because I thought they might be less attractive than the original partnering deal that I had outlined because they might require more capital or not be backed by a deed of trust. And with so bunch backlash I didn't want to give people more ammunition to think I was taking advantage of new investors. But since Jake brought it up, there you have it.

    Anyway, thanks everybody for taking the time to leave your remarks. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.