What is your COLLEGE DEGREE IN!?

What is your COLLEGE DEGREE IN!?

Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 106 votes
Hi BP! My name is Scott and I am just starting out my real estate investing venture this year. I find it to be imperative for all investors to look back on their past and understand how their formal educations have helped launched their real estate investing careers. PLEASE JOIN IN AND SHARE HOW YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE HELPED LAUNCHED YOUR REI CAREER!! I was trained to be an architect at Wentworth Institute of Technology. There I earned my Bachelors of Science in Architecture and Masters of Architecture in 2015. On top of that I earned the title of Valedictorian and an AIA National Award for Emerging Professionals. Upon graduating I had numerous offers from several prestigious design firms throughout Boston and greater New England. In my past two years I have found that working as a Young Architect provides too much stability and consistency. Personally, I enjoy the adrenaline rush of controlling my own future and destiny. Also, I love being on site studying and analyzing properties, design layouts, and creating ways to add value to homes. When people ask me "Why are you getting into real estate? I thought you are an architect?" - little do they realize that my I am using my strong understanding of design and construction and applying it to a more exciting career!
22Reply
1,392 views

Most Popular Reply

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y

Like all successful real estate investors, I studied Fashion Design in college.

See this reply in the discussion

262 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Newport News, VA · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    Hi Scott! 

    This is a great topic. I have a Bachelor of Arts in Government from The College of William & Mary and a Masters of Science in Public Policy from Carnegie Mellon University. 

    In undergrad, I interned with the county planning commission office. I learned so much about plats, lots, blocks, and how a city approaches economic development. It was a great experience to learn about various aspects of community planning and all the tax credits and other incentives available to property owners. 

    In grad school, I learned how to really use excel and analysis to fuel decision-making. It's come in handy for creating the "calculators" I use to run analysis on potential RE deals. I'm no longer afraid of numbers because I understand the power of making them work for you when it's time to negotiate. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Hamilton, NJ · Member since 2013 · 464 posts · 311 votes
    9y

    I graduated from college in 2013 with an accounting degree.  I was fortunate enough to have had a tax internship at one of the top regional public accounting firms.  The clients who we prepared taxes for were individuals who were wealthy with high net worth.  When doing their taxes, I realized many of these individuals had income from real estate and saw how it was somewhat sheltered through the tax deductions in real estate.  After that tax season, I understood and saw first hand the advantage real estate has in order to build wealth.

    Although you can learn business through self education or a class here and there, I feel like going to school for business (specifically accounting) has given me a "leg-up" because I understood certain things before I even started investing.  It sounds like your degree has also put you in that realm where you are technically ahead of the game prior to even starting your investing career!

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 736 posts · 582 votes
    9y

    Bachelor's Degree in English with Specialization in Creative Writing

    Master's in Business Administration

    At one point I had certification as an EMT with IV Therapy (Community College after the previous two)

    None of them have helped me with my "REI Career".

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    I have a formal high school education so no degree or need for one.

    I do believe business management would be a definite advantage.

    I do not build homes, I buy rentals and flips so primarily understanding and differentiating a good buy from a bad one is all I require. That and a solid understanding of the tenant market. Investing in real estate does not require a certificate but does require a reasonable level of intelligence. 

    Working your way up through the buildings trades to GC would be a strong benefit if building is your preferred investment path.

    I have no problems with formal educations although I believe far too many choose that route. Regrettably many leave that education far behind if they become successful investors.

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Hey @Scott Graham

    The topic is great to see where people are at educationally and if that helped them to get to their financially free place, or spark their way to that place. I received my B.S. Degree in Business Management four years ago, and it was a personal goal of mine to reach that degree finish line; however, I do not believe that it gave me the springboard to get to where I am today. 

    The principals learned and the information given to me did not stick as long as I was wanting them to stick. Even though the information was great, I believe it was my pure ambition that got me to where I am today and what will accelerate me to where I want to be in real estate. It’s downright drive that gets me to my goals, not the information that came out of that four years plus in school, and that is because I am a bad reader and forgot almost all what I learned in those classes. Now since that is my brain, I learn way better by doing over and over again to get to a place of education.

    Education is not a bad thing at all and more education people get as a real estate investor, or agent by actually doing it will get them a lot farther than I believe a four year degree will. Degrees help many people in specific careers, and there maybe a career in real estate that a degree helps people and gives them massive leverage, that is why it was a great question to see what degree it is and how it helped! 

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Liberal Arts education with a B.A. in Anthropology from the Colorado College, with a focus on Medical Anthropology... understanding health, illness and disease from cross-cultural perspectives.

    I later found that education dove tailed nicely for my work as a Manager of Accessibility Services at a major medical center. My job was to coordinate all of the accommodations for people with disabilities (employees, patients, families) and the language/cultural support services for people with Limited English Proficiency. That work enhanced my skills in working with and understanding people of various backgrounds as well as my skills in negotiating, managing budgets, and managing projects. Those skills are transferable to real estate investing.

    Also, I have a vocational certificate and national certification as a Sign Language Interpreter. That career has expanded my knowledge base on all levels due to the interaction I have with people in all facets of life experience. It has also afforded me a steady W-2 income that helps me fund my real estate purchases. Lenders take kindly to a good employment record with W2 income, so that's been beneficial.

    My real estate investing is at the grass roots level, interfacing with tenants and participating as a community player to enhance the livability of our community. The wide range of experiences in my lifetime and my encounters with community planners, architects, builders, tradespeople, bankers, financiers, accountants, business experts, lawyers/judges, social service workers, religious leaders and fellow landlords has given me insight and perspective that has been invaluable as well.

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I went into the Army, then tech school afterwards, so no degree for me. I got into the computer software world when you could just be a good troubleshooter and problem solver. I did that for 20+ years and needed a change so I got into Real Estate. So I have no degree. Contrary to popular belief I do have the ability to dress myself most mornings and have been known to tie my own shoes on occasion. :)

  • Manhattan, KS · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    Business Organizational Leadership. Thinking about masters... it's just hard when self employed to get motivated because it won't have a direct pay increase but the overall increase in education should allow me to be a better business man and ultimately lead to better decisions and more income. 

  • Investor · Arvada, CO · Member since 2017 · 109 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    I have a math degree. I actually played poker for a living for years after I graduated, really moved from analyzing numbers in one fashion to another. I believe my degree gave me a the ability to correctly analyze numbers but also network and be able to approach problems from many different angles. 

  • Title Representative · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 64 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    Bachelor's degree in Operation Management and Marketing from Kelley School of Business, Indiana University. International Business and Economics from Danish Institute of Study, Copenhagen, Denmark. I have always had some tie to real estate. I started doing contractor work thru college, managed a hardware store for a time, organized and managed Tax Sale auctions, which ultimately spun into the title side of the industry. There are takeaways from every experience in life that can be leveraged as a strength in another profession. I am practical, cost conscientious, methodical, analytical, and strive toward efficiency. Is that due to education or personality, well that is a life long debate on which shaped the other.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 209 posts · 56 votes
    9y

    Business Administration and currently in an MBA program.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Like all successful real estate investors, I studied Fashion Design in college.

  • South Bend, IN · Member since 2015 · 180 posts · 93 votes
    9y
    Hey Scott Graham what a great and fun question! I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering from Western Michigan and a MS in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue. I believe both degrees contributed to my ability to effectively analyze potential properties and increased my problem solving ability. My BS also got me a "high paying" job and a load of school debt to go with it. Regardless, my job provides enough income to buy some houses. The job has also enhanced my creative problem solving capabilities and my ability to create and work with teams. The job would not be possible without the degree so I thought I should mention that too!
  • Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 106 votes
    9y
    Is there a certain degree that you wish you earned? Or a life experience that may have catapulted your career in the beginning? Personally, I wish I knew more about accounting, taxes and finances!
  • Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 402 votes
    9y

    Associate Degree - Liberal Arts (Northeast Texas Community College)

    Bachelor Degree - Communications (Radio & TV; Minor in history) (Stephen F. Austin State University)

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I have an Associates in Business

    A Bachelors in Accounting 

    And the equivalent of a Masters in Taxation. My school discontinued the Masters program 2 quarters before I graduated :( But to be a CPA you need a 5th year school- so I completed the courses any way. 

  • Wholesaler and Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2009 · 438 posts · 293 votes
    9y

    BS Degree in Management.   THE Ball State University.

  • Conway, SC · Member since 2012 · 114 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    Hi @Scott Graham

    Associates Degree in Nursing and working on Bachelors in the same, nursing for 20 years so I see people at their worst. I gained thick skin with ill people and feel it will work well in my new part time investing strategy. I don't want to see myself working in the ER at age 60 so I want to implement my retirement investing with RE. 

  • Brian MurrayPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Hey Scott! I have degrees in engineering and business, but I am a firm believer that all of the knowledge anyone needs to be a great real estate investor can be gained through self-study. In BP podcast 212 I said that if you start at episode #1 and listen to all of the BP podcasts, that’s like getting a PhD in real estate investing.  I'd supplement that with a boatload of reading too, including lots of books and time on these forums.  Now that's not to say that prior experience or education in other areas can't come in handy on occasion - I completely agree with that. @Dustin Haviland hits it on the head when he says, "There are takeaways from every experience in life that can be leveraged as a strength in another profession." Amen to that. BUT, a degree is not a prerequisite for success. That's one of the things I love most about real estate investing. Anybody willing to roll up their sleeves and do what it takes has a chance to be successful!

  • Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 106 votes
    9y

    @Brian Murray Well said! I do recall you saying that 'thats like getting a PhD in real estate investing' on BP Podcast #212. At that moment it made me realize how much I have learned over the past 6 months. As I am drafting ever day at work, I listen to the Podcasts and try to collect 'nuggets' of information to help me launch my REI Career. Now I am going back through and listening to the podcasts for a second time. I am finding that this process is very similar to reading a book for the second time; I am picking up information that I missed during the first pass.

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Bachelors in Business Administration/Management and MBA from Oregon State

    Go Beavs!

  • Realtor · Olive Branch, MS · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Hello BP!

    My name is Shirley and I am just starting in real estate investing. I have not done any deals as of yet, but I am excited to learn and meet people with the same mindset as me!

    I graduated Magna Cum Laude in April 2016 with my Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting and Management. I am currently working on my Masters of Accountancy with a concentration in Forensic Accounting. I am Project Manager for the government in economic development and I am the Chief Financial Officer of a small municipal airport. 

    Although my formal education has been very beneficial to my career, it has not assisted me in any long-term planning and investments. Formal education is meant to condition you to work traditional jobs so that you can survive, not build a lifestyle. Therefore, I am a blank canvas! However, my career does allow me to assess market trends and investment opportunities before most of the public. I also plan to obtain my real estate license and a couple of other certifications so I can catch profit multiple ways!

    Feel free to connect with me (especially if you would like to share ideas, experience, etc)!

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 339 votes
    9y

    Undergrad- Applied Math and Biology. Ph.D. Molecular Cell Biology. 

    I do a lot of data analysis now as a scientist, and did so as a student.

    Like @Steven D. says above, Comfort with numbers, spreadsheets, analysis, and critical thinking helps in all financial matters, regardless of the investment. 

    I started teaching early on. As early as my sophomore year undergrad. That helps with tenant interactions. And my love for teaching is what drives me to post on this forum (and other forums, too).

  • New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 99 votes
    9y

    BS in Business Information Systems Analysis - Thought about getting my masters in Accounting since I get free tuition from Yale to go back to school. 

  • General Contractor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    BS in Building Science (construction management with a fancy name) from Auburn University.

    MS in Management and MBA from CU Denver. (wouldn't have gotten these if I had it to do all over again)

    Currently using my undergrad degree as a General Contractor in the Denver area. Contemplating my first investment purchase for probably far to long while I build other people's investments for them and learn as much as I can.  Most interested in Buy and Hold these days, both residential and commercial. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.